Magneto problems

merlion497

Cadet
Hey i have a 6 hp something that I picked up in the junkyard last week. I messed around with it and got it running but it is sparking badly and therefore running very poorly. I took off the fly wheel and was not surprised to see that the spark plug wires running from the magneto to the sparkplugs were just in the worst condition ever. It has 2 magnetos, both have multiple splices, with ducktape wrapped all over the place. Obviously this needs some work. I live in mexico however so buying new coils is not an option, especially since I dont even know the make or model or even that it is 6hp, thats just what the guy at the yard told me.
Now through junk yard scrapping i have some extra magnetos laying around. Now i am a lay person so i will try to explain the dillema the best I can. The extra magnetos have good wires and boots, but the hole in the center (which gets filled with the center prong of the 3 prongs of thin layers of metal that is located under the fly wheel) is not big enough.
Can i snap off a few of the layers of metal to make these new magnetos fit? If not, and i am able to find random magnetos that do fit, can you just interchange them or are they model specific?
And last option for repair that i can thing of is just redoing the splices in the current magnetos. whats the best way of splicing these wires? I was thinking about just making sure the contact is good where the slices are made, and just melting silicon all over. Will that prevent it from arcing? Or do i have other options?

lindy46

Captain
Re: Magneto problems

Model number should be on the transom clamp, or on a welch plug on the engine block. Find that number and we can tell you what year it is and the proper parts for the ignition.

merlion497

Cadet

Cool I found the make and model, and also realized i am in the wrong forum. Not sure if a moderator could move this post to the Chrysler section as my motor is apparently a chysler 62HH seriel:16489
But the problem is, even with this information, mexico doesn't have a chrysler store hehe, and I don't have the money to replace the parts. Is there a way to splice the wires without them arcing? or snap some of the metal off of the 3 pronged thing so that i could make the motor work with the coils i do have laying around? Basicly, is there any way to make this work without buying brand new coils? Thanks again for your help.

wickware

Lieutenant

I?ll suggest that you compare older Tecumseh lawnmower coils with you coil needed. After years of working with small engines, the Tecumseh?s coil stands out in my mind when I see my 35 HP Chrysler?s magneto system.

Good Lock,
JOW

wickware

Lieutenant

Can you post pictures of your magneto system, showing the problem and any numbers off the coil??? I?ll see if any of my old (1960s ?70s) small engine manuals list the coil related to a lawnmower or Etc.. With your surplus of parts and no loss, you might get lucky.

Good luck vs Lock!
JOW

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I would not cut off any of the laminations of the magneto core. They are designed to have a specific magnetic density as the flywheel magnets pass them-- It may work, but there is a strong likelyhood that you will ruin the magneto.

As others have said: Those are common magneto coils and with a little searching, you should be able to find replacements that fit.

The coils cost 80 US dollars new, so yes, buying them is usually a last resort.

IF the high tension wires are the only ones that are spliced, as a desperate measure you can try re-splicing them but: you reall need to check the secondary and primary winding resistance to be sure that wires are not broken inside the coils