I probably messed something up and need an idea where to look.

sonny1639

Recruit
We bought a boat with a 1987 Yamaha 150 last fall.
Was running it with the ear muffs on the other day and may have turned up the water too high as it quit peeing out of the hole.
Figured it would be a good time to change the water pump so pulled it apart and think the new on is in corectly. Made sure to put the housing on so the impeller was bent the proper direction. One thing I am not sure of and can't see in the pictures of the service manual is under the bottom plate there is a brass looking piece that looks kind of like a top hat with a hole in the top for the shaft to pass. I put the brim of the hat looking piece against the thrust bearing and the smaller area up toward the water pump plate. Is that correct?
Didn't notice any type of seal at the top of the pump housing where it connects to the hose. Guess when you put it together it is just going to hit the hole in the hose or is there a way to pull the hose down to connect to the pump housing?
Going to pull the lower unit back off next week and looking for any ideas to try or what I may have done.
Thanks in advance...Sonny

robert graham

Admiral
Re: I probably messed something up and need an idea where to look.

Go to: Bogueinletnc/yamaha for detailed instructions with photos on water pump replacement, plus other maintenance related procedures. Good Luck!

sonny1639

Recruit

Yes, those are the parts and I didn't have or may have left the old 13, 14 1nd 15 in the old housing. Unfortuanately I did something I never do and threw the old ones parts out as soon as I put the new ons on and they were probably still in the housing.
I did pull the lower unit back off as it is beautiful here today and 13, 14, 15 were not on the tube so I ordered a set.
Thanks for the help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

trust me you dont need part number 15, just aint gonna happen.
why not do a forum search here on replacing the pump? I posted a step by step bolt by bolt procedure for the V4 and V6 motors, on yours pay no attention to the lock collar and retainer section.
and, there is NO way you will ever have TOO MUCH water pressure when running on a flush muff as far as the powerhead is concerened.