Rebuild vs new Reco motor

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quick question

What would be the best solution

Get the mechanic to rebuild my overheated motor or purchase a new reco motor and get him to install that?

Cheapest way?

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rebuild vs new Reco motor

A couple of things come to mind when you pose this question... I read your other thread describing how this happened and your mechanics diagnosis of what he thought happened and I guess if you are going to have it rebuilt by the same guy who tore it down I would be seriously asking myself if I trust him to do the job right.

Another thing to consider is that since it was full of water and developed a knock, it will likely need the crank turned, and if the motor truely did overheat it may have some cracks in the head, or warpage requiring machining. So I guess the question that really needs to be answered is will having this mechanic rebuild this motor acutally be cost effective. I am thinking no...

A plus to having a recon motor would be that they likely offer a warranty on the motor and have better inspection processes in place as to what they will reuse vs replace. I doubt your mechanic has the same resources. Ask your mechanic if he is going to provide a warranty, an if so what will he cover and for how long. Also find out what he considers rebuilding.

havasuboatman

Ensign

Chances are pretty good the same thing is gonna happen either way. If you pay your mechanic to rebuild your motor, he's going to put in a re-man'd motor. Taking a single engine to the automotive machine shop, Buying the master kit then assembling the motor is very expensive.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

master kit then assembling the motor is very expensive.

That was my point as well. Having rebuilt one before, it is not entirely cost effective. But if you enjoy assembling engines it can be fun.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

After hearing that you ran that engine for 4 days with water in the oil...........I'd replace it with a recn'd engine...........not sure if I would even have the same mechanic install it.

Just my opinion........

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I'm not sure if the language is any different down your way, but up here you'll see words like "re-conditioned", "rebuilt", and "remanufactored"

Re-conditioned means it's junk yard motor with fresh spraypaint.

Rebuilt means a tired engine was taken apart, visually inspected, if it was done by a competent person then he may have actually measured things (there's about a hundred different things to measure when re-building an engine) and they measure down to .001 of an inch or .01mm. And often times old parts are reused. You may find a rebuilt V8 out there, and it may have 4 new pistons in it along with 4 used pistons. They can be hit or miss, depending on the person doing the work.

Remanufactored engines are usually done by companies that specialize in this, and that's all they do. Because they do hundreds/thousands a year they have their shops set up assembly line style and often produce engines that are just as good as a new block. Again depends on the company so do your research. Google Jasper Engines.

Most modern day mechanics who know their worth do not rebuild engines, we install re'mans. It's to much work to rebuild an engine at 90 bucks an hour and be competetive in priceing. You either have to be willing to give your time away, cut your labor rate for the job, or cut corners.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

What everyone else said is 100% on the money

I have been lurking, reading your other thread on the Blown head gasket. With regard to letting your mechanic rebuild, I would say a Real Big NO. 1st to do it right, being the engine did overheat to the point were the head gasket blew you are probably going to want to have the block decked and line honed at the very least. then have the heads magnafluxed, checked for warping and possibly milled. After that the knocking you mentioned is probably spun bearings or a wrist pin because of all that water in your oil. The list can go on and on, the machine work I just mentioned is about $600 alone before buying parts ( That's what it just cost me and the machinist is a friend) . after you have the crank cut bearings rings gaskets maybe a cam misc etc your up over 1500 before labor to assemble.

Sorry for being long winded, in short, my opinion is unless you like wrenching and building engines yourself, Buy a crate engine Find a good reputable mechanic to install it and sue your last one for the costs. I would also go through the 11k you spent on repairs (I forget the # you quoted I think thats what you wrote) with a fine tooth comb and see how much of that is real and how much was the mechanic stumbling in the dark.

Ahhh now I fee better
Just my 2c for worth

Best of luck

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with you guys. I think I will organise a new reco engine which in Aus is a completley reconditioned, not from a junk yard , from a shop in Sydney Australia
Chev 262 4.3LT V6 Marine Motor
Reco Chev 262 4.3lt V6 Mercruiser style unleaded long motor, comes with , marine head gaskets. Cost $3100 #A131. 12 months guarantee. Runs on unleaded fuel.

I will just wait on the report from the insurance and then put some pressure on the mechanics. I am just weighing up my options. If I dont get anywhere with the mechanics and I have to pay myself, I was wondering what I would do? Should I rebuild or recondition? You guys have helped make my decission.

It been a long two months and summer is over, that sucks!

mariner1900

Seaman

Justjason. In Australia we generally do not use the term re-manufactured.

We have re-builds which are as you described. Basically a strip down clean and any worn parts replaced.

A reconditioned engine in Oz is the same as your re-manufactured engine. Stripped down, cleaned, block bored with all new pistons. Crank linished or ground depending on condition. All new bearings, etc and supplied with warranty.

Mark as your engine had a "knock" before finally completely failing I suspect internal failure possibly a bearing. The quickest and easiest way to determine an internal failure is to drain the oil and inspect for any "sparkly" bits. also remove the filter and drain oil contents into a container. check this oil for 'sparkly" bits. Cut the filter open and check the filter material as well. If there was a bearing failure it will be very apparent.

As stated the cost to repair your engine may end up more expensive then buying the reco engine from Suburban Imports but do get a quote for a reco job on your exisiting engine. Higginbottoms or some company like them would be able to quote. There are lots of these companies in Sydney.

Also make sure that the engine from Suburban Imports is actually a reco/reman engine. As far as I am aware Suburban bring the engines in from the states and if they use the same terminology as justJason described for US engines then it may have just been cleaned and given a nice paint job.

mariner1900

Seaman

Hi Mark, As an alternative to Suburban Imports, since it was their engine that has failed whether their fault or not, there is a mob that advertise in a magazine called "Just Parts" that have reco V6 engines and from memory at really reasonable prices. Can't remember their name but I think they are out around Cronulla area. Buy the mag, about 4 bucks, and have a look for them.

havasuboatman

Ensign

Yep, Rebuilt, remanufactured mean the same to me too. Near as new as you are gonna get without getting brand new.
Reconditioned means you have a used motor.
And generaly speaking, if it aint got a receipt with the serial number on it, it aint true anyway.

That's my opinion...outta' be yours ;)