I need some help

knarfey

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 7.5 hp hanimex motor with an in built feul tank and when the motor is in gear and running it squirts feul out of the cap on the top of the motor, what could be causing this.
HELP HELP

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I need some help

vibration, full tank. the cap has a vent in it, so the fuel will flow, may be missing a rubber gasket.

knarfey

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you so much for your reply, am i putting to much feul in it?
How can i fix this? Does this effect the performance of the motor because it seems to run a bit sluggish since it started doing this, also there seems to be a slight feul leak from the carby or one of the hoses.

BaDucK

Seaman

if your putting fuel in it up to the filler neck then yes, your putting too much fuel into the tank....you should leave about an inch of air space when filling up on a small tank like that...

also, if your putting in cold gas and fill it to the brim, when it warms up in the tank out in the sun it will purge gas out the vent hole, another reason to leave some air space in the tank...
of course, if your gassing and going, its not a big deal, but if you have a drive on a warm sunny day to the boat ramp after hitting the gas station your apt to see some moisture (from gas) on or around the cap

knarfey

Seaman Apprentice

Does this effect the performance of the motor as it keeps stalling after a few minites but does start up again after a few pulls

BaDucK

Seaman

that could be one of a few different things.....

lol, you just went above my pay grade on that one without being able to see and tinker with the motor in person.....

does that happen at slow speeds....idle....top end ??

if at idle i would check to see if the carb is flooding slightly....might be something as simple as a rebuild needed.....

.....i dont think over filling the tank would cause that, unless the float seat is bad and the "weight" of a full tank is causing it to leak, i am assuming since its a built in tank the carb is gravity fed...

knarfey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again man, It deosn't happen when the motor is idling, it happens when you are at full throttle and cruising along, after a minute or so it will stall.
The feul leaks when the motor is back in the shed, it slowly leaks for a couple of hours and then there is no more drip.
I love this motor but i wonder if it's days are numbered, but then again it might just be something simple, any info would be a bonus as i have found a web site that has parts for this motor.

Thanks again mate

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

What is your recent maintenance history ???
Carb rebuild ?? if not then I would suggest one. Followed by a spark test. And while you are at it go with a compression test.

knarfey

Seaman Apprentice

It hadn't benn used for about a year, and havn't serviced it for a couple of years, it probably needs all those things you mentioned, i will have to take it to my mechanic by the sounds of it. thanks again for all your help.
I love this webb site

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

It hadn't benn used for about a year, and havn't serviced it for a couple of years, it probably needs all those things you mentioned, i will have to take it to my mechanic by the sounds of it. thanks again for all your help.
I love this webb site

Glad you like the site. There are countless thousands of others that like it as well. With a little mechanical aptitude and a decent manual you can do all the work yourself. Save huge and learn at the same time.

knarfey

Seaman Apprentice

Unfortunately, i can get parts for it but i havn't been able to find a manual, but i'll keep looking, you never know what you might find.
Thanks again mate

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunately, i can get parts for it but i havn't been able to find a manual, but i'll keep looking, you never know what you might find.
Thanks again mate

Wost case is to take a lot of digital photos as you start to do any teardown. Then you have a reference to go by.
I would like to see some photos of your motor if you can (covers on and off) and different angles.
Good Luck,
Ken.

knarfey

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry, i must have done something wrong i'll try again

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 0

knarfey

Seaman Apprentice

heres some more

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 0

cr2k

Captain

Also you mentioned a possible hose leak. If this is so you may be sucking air and leaning out. If your fuel hoses are stiff at all they should be replaced. Once they get stiff they will no longer seal around the fittings.

knarfey

Seaman Apprentice

Yes the hoses are a bit stiff, and they don't have any clips to secure them, i wonder if this is normal or should i get some hose clips.