Can someone point me to a good cheap bilge pump?

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
My buddy got a 12v one that pumps 100 gallons per minute for $20. I don't know how much these things run, but I am very inexperienced with boats and thought something like this would be a good idea incase well, I hit something, lol. Are bilge pumps "you get what you pay for" or will pretty much any bilge pump be fine.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can someone point me to a good cheap bilge pump?

Hey ngt,

Moved this to Boat Topics. Where you put it is OK, but I think you'll get more action over here. Good luck!

robert graham

Admiral

Walmart has bilge pumps for about $12, you need to decide if you want a manual, on/off switch type, or the automatic/probe type. If your boat is in the water, moored, where it gets the rain or some leakage, you may want the automatic, since you might not be there to turn it on. I keep my boat mostly out of the water so I use the manual, on/off switch. A bilge pump is a darn good thing to have, especially for inboard type motors where water can get into your motor/bilge area, and they're very easy to install/operate. Good Luck!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Once you've 'hit something' and there is now a gaping hole in the bottom of the boat, and your wife and kids are screaming, do you really want a cheap pump? Personally, I'd want the biggest, baddest water sucker I could lay hands on!

I have a big pump (twice recommended size), on a float switch. Wasn't cheap, but neither was the boat, or engine.... and the wife's priceless. :D

FWIW,

Chris.........

basstracker219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have you searched the site.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In my opinion cheap and bilge pump shouldn't go together, but thats just me. get a good quality unit and you will never be disipointed that you did. If you keep the boat on the water unattended get one with an automatic float switch, if not then its kind of up to you. I had a freeze plug rot out one time on an old boat I had and the water coming in when the engine was running was more than the bile pump could handle. It was a long trip back to the marina, stop bail out, stop bail out, meanwhile the pump was running the entire time. I could have just paddled all the way back but it would have been dark by the time I could have gotten there. Alot of people use two one on a float and one just on a manual switch. Up to you but it could save yourself and your boat one day.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Can we assume you meant 100 gallons per HOUR, not minute?

Cheap punmps are cheap pumps and rarely offer the flow that they claim, in the real world. They use increased voltage, straight, level non couregated tubing etc.

After installed, you actual flow rate could be as little as half the advertised number.

FWIW - an I/O seawater pump can put 500-1000 gallons in the boat per hour at idle. A 1" hole below the water line can do the same. You could bail faster than that $20 pump.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree with ezmobee and jaxnjil, i have used these pump on many boats, with no failures.

Bondo

Staff member

Are bilge pumps "you get what you pay for"

Ayuh,... They Sure are...

I'm with achris,... I've got a 1500g pump,+ a 2000g pump,...
Totally redundent... Twice the insurance...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

achris--good move--you get lovey dovey tonight for that one!

NGT--I'm worried that you have a boat and are wondering about a bilge pump. Except for an open boat like a jon boat that can be completely bailed with a bucket or perhaps a positive float boat, EVERY boat should have a working bilge pump.

I'm also worried that you think a bilge pump will save you if you stave a hole in your hull. You need to know what to do about that before it happens--all eyes in the boat will be upon you, and there is no one to call.

I was shocked to learn a while ago that some sofa boats are made and sold without bilge pumps. Unfathomable. Pun intended.

so get a good one, two if your boat is large, and get someone who knows what he is doing to rig it as appropriate for your use and environs. But don't worry about the last inch!

Others: many boats have several pumps here and there: livewells, heads, engine. Think about how you might use them in an emergency to replace or supplement your bilge pump--and carry the parts for a conversion.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Think of bilge pumps like motorcycle helmets. If you have a $10 head then buy a $10 helmet.

cr2k

Captain

I like that $10 head/$10helmet thing! Good analogy.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

good and cheap are mutualy exclusive terms

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Buy "good and cheap" bilge pumps, or any thing else for that matter, by the gross. You'll need them! They money you save by doing so can be used "toward" repairs.