just got my hands on a small outboard

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
my cousin has had this little motor (15hp on the cover) for a few years now i was the last one to use the motor about 3-4 years ago since than the motor just sat in a shed than today i pulled it out and the pistons were stuck the motor was seized i finally got the pistons moving again i have just soaked the top of the pistons with oil i can now turn the flywheel with a socket i will keep on turning it more tomorrow as its now night time i have a few questions

will it be salvageable considering it had slightly rusted?

will it be worth it to strip it down and install all new parts? (rebuild) i seen kits on ebay for USD$240 i can do all the work...

where can i get a cheap long shaft gearbox from in the USA who is willing to ship to australia and what price would i be looking at?

and from what i can make of the model number is J10SELG1D i have looked it up but can someone confirm that it is a 10hp and not 15hp as on the cover? also does it seem to be a 1988 model? from the G1D on the end of the model number i am not 100% sure as i can bairly make those numbers out

cheers for any replies :)

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: just got my hands on a small outboard

I think your motor will be fine. I would go ahead and get it running and then take a compression test. I've got several motors running after they've been stuck. Let us know what readings you get.

lindy46

Captain
Re: just got my hands on a small outboard

Might want to do a decarb on the engine.