trailer tire 8" to 12"

azdcm

Cadet
Is there any reason not to replace the existing tires and wheels with a larger size. My main purpose is to reduce the rotating speed.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer
Re: trailer tire 8" to 12"

The bigger tire would turn less often at the same speed, possibly reducing heat and friction. Sounds like a good idea if you have clearance for it.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are going bigger. I would go to a 13" if you have the room. The tire is much more stable than the small 12" tire. You probably won't have the clearance to go that big but, the 12" will be an improvement.

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lets not forget to determine height and angle of trailer to tow vehicle once larger tires and wheels are installed.

Then how much is this going to affect // Launching and removing boat from the water .

A few inches higher means you have too get that trailer further into the water to get the boat On or Off the trailer !

fish

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is nothing wrong with 8-inch wheels and tires provided they are not overloaded or loaded close to the maximum capacity. If you happen to spend over half of the trailering time on the interstate system, then the switch is probably beneficial. If you basically travel short distances to local ramps and make only infrequent and short freeway trips they are simply not an issue. What is important is that you keep the tires aired up properly which is the root cause of most tire failures.

azdcm

Cadet

Thank You for the information. This is a new to me trailer and the boat is a 12' aluminum. The way the travel distance works is during the winter you go to lakes which are less than 60 miles one way, during the summer you go 100 to 150 one way. It looks like the plus side is light load, on the minus side distance, speed and temp. I think I will put on 8" tires(highway rated) and see how it works out. The speed limit is 75 and I need to be at 65 or so.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Thank You for the information. This is a new to me trailer and the boat is a 12' aluminum. The way the travel distance works is during the winter you go to lakes which are less than 60 miles one way, during the summer you go 100 to 150 one way. It looks like the plus side is light load, on the minus side distance, speed and temp. I think I will put on 8" tires(highway rated) and see how it works out. The speed limit is 75 and I need to be at 65 or so.

I've run 8" wheels and tires for thousands and thousands of miles on snowmobile trailers at 65+ and they work fine. As stated make sure the tires are inflated properly before each trip and also make sure the bearings are properly greased. You won't have any problems with a 12' tinny on 8" tires.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the speed limit is 75 MPH where you travel most of the time you would be wise to check the traffic laws. Some states have significantly lower speed limits for vehicles towing trailers. Some tires may even have a maximum safe speed on the sidewall.