Mercruiser 165 il6 engine service work

popey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi there

I have heart, that the engines after a certain use need to be redone. So my engine has so far approx 1'800 hours on the clock. Is there an estimate number at which point major work needs to be done?

Thanks for your ansers!

Happy boating!

popey

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 165 il6 engine service work

No. Some people can destroy and engine in 20 hours while others can run them into the many thousands of hours before a rebuild is necessary. If the engine has good oil pressure and is not consuming oil and seems to have normal power you have a good engine.. Low oil pressure is a sign of worn connecting rod and/or main bearings. High oil consumption is the result of worn rings. A worn engine may exhibit both of those symptoms and also have a noticeable power loss as well. A compression test periodically may show a valve problem but that would typically occur on just one or a couple of cylinders. Even though an engine uses a quart of oil now and then it may still develop full power and that is certainly not cause to rebuild the engine. Leaky valves, high oil consumption, loss of power and low oil pressure are the key indicators however.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... As Silvertip says,...
A Compression test will give you an idea of the general overall health of your motor....

From 125psi to 150 psi, All within 10/ 15%, is a Healthy motor...

At 1800hrs,.. It could be a healthy teenager, or a grave-ready corpse...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

biggest thing I ever saw kill a 165, and most other engines, is manifold/riser failure allowing water into the cylinders and POOF.
other than that they were dang near bullet proof.