Evinrude Zephyr carb adjustments

Jack Mears

Seaman
I have a 1946 Evinrude Zephyr model 4404 and I need some dope on the carburetor.
The only markings on it are the stamped numbers:276237. these are tiny numbers on the side of the float bowl.Is it a Tillotson?

#1- The cork float is very good but where do I set the level to. Those little clips on the extended supply valve stem which regulates the float level and consequently the fuel level in the float bowl have moved up and I'm having fuel coming out of a little vent at the bowl top.

#2 Where would I find a drawing of this carb, whatever breed it is?

I got a few power strokes out of the motor before the gas started overflowing the bowl top.

Help guys!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude Zephyr carb adjustments

Yea, I believe your float will need to be recoated. I don't believe they are Tillotsons. On the float needle, you'll see two groves where the little float retainers fit into. That will determine your float adjustment. If you're getting fuel seeping out of the top of the carb, then that means your float has soaked up a bunch of gas and has lost bouyancy. The Zephyrs were noted for that and as a result, a lot of them have ended up on the bottom of our waterways to put out the fires.:D:D