Insurance Boat Value

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My insurance CO asked me the Value of my boat I would like to insure. I insured it 2k over the Price I paid because I planning on doing some upgrades in the near futures.

Is this a normal insurance question.

Thanks.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Insurance Question

Re: Insurance Question

Yip, is a normal question - especially IF you are buying "agreed value" hull coverage. In other words, you and the insurer are agreeing that the amount of insurance is XX dollars as opposed to replacment value and / or NADA value and / or market value. IF you bought "agreed value" coverage and, God forbid, your boat is totaled, you get paid the "agreed value" - not what the boat may be "worth" on the market. Most important thing about Insurance is to make sure you READ your entire policy and make sure you know what you paid your premium for and that you fully understand what is or is not covered. There are varying types of coverage available depending on the Insurer. Hope this helps.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Insurance Boat Value

Thank you for the comments. So I guess If I wanted to I could later on go back to my Insurance Company and asked to increased the Value. I would asked this if I feel after all the Upgrades I have done have increased the Value.

Oh my Liability Coverage is 300k. I hope this is enough.

Gosh forbide I hit and total out a 400k House boat. :eek:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Thank you for the comments. So I guess If I wanted to I could later on go back to my Insurance Company and asked to increased the Value. I would asked this if I feel after all the Upgrades I have done have increased the Value.

Oh my Liability Coverage is 300k. I hope this is enough.

Gosh forbide I hit and total out a 400k House boat. :eek:
I wouldn't be worried about that 400K house boat. I'd be more worried about have an accident where someone or multiple people went to the hospital on your dime. Let alone disable or kill someone. That $300K might just cover the lawyer's fee. :(

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll be harder pressed to get it increased after the original agreement. Most insurance companies will ask for pictures and receipts of all upgrades if your wanting to increase coverage since it's considered a depreciating item. We made our policy 4K over it's current value to make sure it would cover any future add-ons.

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

when paying for an "agreed upon value" policy, you can get a heck of a lot higher coverage than what your boats really worth. you just get a bigger premium to pay. i have my girl insured for $17,500. about twice what i paid for her and twice her worth.

gandude

Seaman Apprentice

Yes read your policy!

Of the paper I have read, they seem to exclude damage as a result from mechanical failure.

In other words, GOD forbid, if you are on the water and your engine fails and the boat hits a rocky area, your not covered.

Also read the difference between a 'yacht' policy and a 'boat' policy. Many boaters may find they need a yacht policy.

-Glen

TilliamWe

Banned

Yes read your policy!

Of the paper I have read, they seem to exclude damage as a result from mechanical failure.

In other words, GOD forbid, if you are on the water and your engine fails and the boat hits a rocky area, your not covered.

Also read the difference between a 'yacht' policy and a 'boat' policy. Many boaters may find they need a yacht policy.

-Glen

Glen, good advice mixed in with a HUGE untruth.

If you have a mechanical failure, "it" is NOT covered. But if you take all steps to mitigate and prevent further damage, and your boat still drifts onto rocks, the damage caused by the rocks will be covered.

If you don't know the difference between what's covered and what isn't, please don't post what you "think." Leave coverage questions to the professionals.

AZ, I'll ask a former collegue of mine today what "our" company's position on upping the value of a boat at a later date would be. I am guessing they would want to ask a few questions, but maybe not a lot?

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I looked at a total loss scenario as being inclusive of the trailer and personal effects that may also be lost plus the incidental expenses such as towing/recovery etc. Yes I realize these things are probably covered under other clauses/policies such as home owners, but I can't help but feel any total loss outside of mere theft is going to go verrrry badly. I declared mine at near double the value primarily to give me a little fighting room should the unspeakable ever occur.

90 Carver Montego 21' "Suspicios Behavior"

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Very good advice from all above.

I had the same questions as I was working through insurance stuff as well. You can never really have too much liability coverage. House, cars, boats ect if the worst happens you got to assume they will want everything they can get.

I had a friend once who crashed an atv with a close friend of his on the back. The friend on the back was made a pararaplegic, and even though he as a 17 year old kid did not want to sue his parents took the family to the cleaners. They now are fairly wealthy and the other family has been in dire financial straights ever since. Sad but true.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Believe it or not I even thought about getting Liability coverage only for my 1996 Glastron GS 205 and not cover my Boat at all. What are the odds of me getting into a Boating accident? I'm guessing alot less than a Car. Then I thought that would be stupid.

If I put enough Upgrades into boat that I feel the coverage is not enough I will approach the insurance to increase the Value. I understand my premium payment may raise some but that is ok. If my insurance company doesn't want to play nice I will go find another company.

For example in March Im adding a $1,500 Swim Platform to the back of the boat.

Thanks for the Comments.

David

gandude

Seaman Apprentice

Glen, good advice mixed in with a HUGE untruth.

If you have a mechanical failure, "it" is NOT covered. But if you take all steps to mitigate and prevent further damage, and your boat still drifts onto rocks, the damage caused by the rocks will be covered.

If you don't know the difference between what's covered and what isn't, please don't post what you "think." Leave coverage questions to the professionals.

AZ, I'll ask a former collegue of mine today what "our" company's position on upping the value of a boat at a later date would be. I am guessing they would want to ask a few questions, but maybe not a lot?

Partial copy of a post on another forum, BOC - Bayliner Owners Club... in searching for insurance, I have seen this too.

Machinery Coverage
? Yacht ? Covers mechanical breakdown for anything
sudden or accidental and covers consequential
damage even if themechanical portion is not covered.
? Boat ? No mechanical coverage therefore no
consequential damage coverage.
Example: You are out on the water and the engine
dies, causing you to hit another vessel.
? Yacht ? will cover the engine damage if it is a
covered loss and will cover damage done when
you hit the other vessel.
? Boat ? does not cover any form of mechanical
breakdown and will not cover damage done
when the other vessel was hit because the initial
cause of the loss was an uncovered event.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have been involved, professionally, with insurance coverage matters, including a fatalx3 boat crash. Here are some facts, not opinion:
1. Every policy is different. Each state has laws about the contents of insurance policies and those laws vary. Each state's case law interpreting insurance contracts can be different. You can never rely on another's experience or policy.
2. Many agents don't know what the policies really say or do. So you can't rely on their interpretation. And legally, it does not matter what they tell you if they are wrong; the contract controls no matter what.
3. Even the lawyers and insurance professionals can read over a policy and think it says one thing, but when they read it more closely and start picking it apart, the clear meaning falls away to confusion or other possible interpretations.
4. On a large enough event, the policy will be picked apart (so don't sweat over a $4,000 boat sinking. the fight will be over a serious accident with injuries).
5. Pay close attention to how your homeowner's insurance and marine insurance compliment or contradict each other. One policy's validity can be affected by the the other's coverage.
6. Value for buy/sell and value for insurance are as different as chalk and cheese.

Also (my informed opinion follows):
The above is especially important if you get an umbrella policy--which you should if you have a decent sized boat, use a boat in popular areas, or use a boat for activities with young people (such as tubing). Have no less than $1 million coverage. To get this, I need $500K in the boat policy before my $2million umbrella applies, so if I thought I was OK with $300K I would be wrong--and exposed.
Focus on the liablity side first, especially for a boat worth less than $10K. That's where it matters.

Despite "agreed value" you just can't go above the realm of reality.

You can insure anything with a large enough premium. Be smart and assess your risk. If you pay $500 to insure a $1,500 trailer, unless it's stolen or totalled every three years you are wasting your money. use that money for fishing instead. No matter how much you love your 20 year old 16' bowrider, and no matter how reliable it is, it has little if any insurable value.

Many marine policies exclude or limit coverage on trailers. So does your auto and homeowner's. Be careful.

If your boat is financed, be careful and don't assume your DEBT is insured unless you have gap coverage.

A $1,500 improvement such as a swim platform does not automatically add $1,500 value to the boat, especially if the boat has any age to it. It might not add any value at all for insurance purposes.

TilliamWe

Banned

Gandude, in that policy, and that policy only, that you quoted, what you said is true. However as pointed out below your post, every policy is different. I have never seen a policty like the "boat" one your quoted. That policy is garbage. Even your standard automobile policy pays for covered resulting damage in the even of a mechinal failure. The common example is, "my brakes failed and I crashed into a tree". Crash damage covered, brakes not. I think whoever posted that info (A Bayliner owner) found the cheapest, worst, least effective policy he could to make an example. I have never seen or heard of any policy like that.

What about all you others out there, with less expensive, ACV "boat" policies, ever seen those exclusions in dude's second post?

TilliamWe

Banned

...A $1,500 improvement such as a swim platform does not automatically add $1,500 value to the boat, especially if the boat has any age to it. It might not add any value at all for insurance purposes.

EXACTLY. And so is the case for most/all the "improvements" you are planning to make.

gandude

Seaman Apprentice

TilliamWe,

I am not disputing what you say.

I am trying to encourage everyone to look at a policy carefully and know what the 'exclusions' are and mean. ...not as easy as it sounds.

/r

-Glen

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you everyone for taking the time in explaining Insurance things to me.
I think I will leave my policy alone for the moment. Happy accident free Boating.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why does my insurance company need the Engine Serial Number?

All of a sudden they are asking.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Also (my informed opinion follows):
The above is especially important if you get an umbrella policy--which you should if you have a decent sized boat, use a boat in popular areas, or use a boat for activities with young people (such as tubing). Have no less than $1 million coverage. To get this, I need $500K in the boat policy before my $2million umbrella applies, so if I thought I was OK with $300K I would be wrong--and exposed.
Focus on the liablity side first, especially for a boat worth less than $10K. That's where it matters.

Thank you for that Home Cookin'. When I read this I immediately called my agent to check on my various liability coverages and determined they probably aren't sufficient. In the next few days I will be raising them and signing up for umbrellla coverage. Wish I'd thought of it soon enough to be covered this weekend.:redface:

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Why does my insurance company need the Engine Serial Number?

All of a sudden they are asking.

One very simple way to find out......ask them! IMO, they are insuring the boat, the engine is a major part of the boat, they want to ID it for future use in the event the rig was stolen. Also, the serial number tells them the OEM, the HP and it is a way to make sure the boat is properly (or not improprely) powered for it's size, etc. Could be any number of reasons, all of which are legit. But, again, the simple answer to any question you have about the insurance is to ask your agent / insurer!

Enjoy the longggggg weekend boaters!