OutBoard

drcouv

Recruit
I was given a Golden Jet 5 ESKA outboard. Starts and runs great. On the motor it says to mix 1/2 pint of S.A.E outboard oil with per one gallon of gas. It has only one cycle a single spark plug. I don't have a manual so has any one else seen or have one of these.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: OutBoard

I was given a Golden Jet 5 ESKA outboard. Starts and runs great. On the motor it says to mix 1/2 pint of S.A.E outboard oil with per one gallon of gas. It has only one cycle a single spark plug. I don't have a manual so has any one else seen or have one of these.

Eska motors are as common as rocks in a cemetary. In reality, it is nothing more than a lawn mower engine on an outboard bottom. In addition to their own brand name, they made a bazillion motors for Sears and a bunch of other wannabes. Try http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/ for a manual. Or your local library may have a vintage outboard manual.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You might have better luck finding parts at the local yocal lawn and garden shop, for parts on the powerhead. The tune up kits are very similar to any of the other Tecumse' small engines.:cool:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Eska has been out of business since the mid 80s.It uses a Tecumseh air cooled power head with a water cooled exhaust leg, most use an impeller to pump the water.The golden Jet 500 could be 4 or 5 hp.Firest appeared in 62 ran through 66.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

These are actually pretty good little engines. I've fixed and sold several of these over the years. Most of the ones I find are pretty rough, but come back to life pretty easy. After all, most lawn mower engines do.:D

Believe it or not, the water pumps are there just to cool the exhaust housing and keep the paint from burning off. No water is circulated around the cylinder, since it is an air cooled engine. I once had a 5hp jet pump with a Tecumse' engine on it. Pretty cool little motor.:D

M

mrcrabs

actually the water pump cools the bottom of the engine through the base plate before it gets to the leg...ask me how I know, also just for giggles the low profile impeller thats on my 7.5 eska is a merc 9.8, Hole Size 7/16 - Blade width 1 1/4 - Height 9/16 and there cheaper than the ebay eska impellers, about 11$