Tom Brokaw explains Canada to Americans

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: Tom Brokaw explains Canada to Americans

Excellent piece...very well put and a great reminder to both sides.
BP:)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Very nice... Touching in places too...

Canada... Only country in the world that can (geographically) look down on USA. :D:D:D

As an Australian I see a lot of similarities between Canada and Australia... Change the cold north for our hot interior and you have it...

Chris............

mphy98

Lieutenant

All of that is why my son and I go there twice a year, best place to vacation.

puddle jumper

Captain

As an Australian I see a lot of similarities between Canada and Australia... Change the cold north for our hot interior and you have it...

Chris............

I have also thought along those lines my self.

Nice piece and well put.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Great video and commentary. We need to show this to some of the immigration folk at the USA side of the Ambassador Bridge though. Sometimes I think they think I am invading their country. !!!:)

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

kenmyfam, I don't think you can do anything with this side of the brige. My experience with them on our way back home in 2008, from a wonderful fishing trip. Well lets just say I think they are Richard Craniums. We cut our trip short, showed up at the border and the Guy says, so why did you all of a sudden decide to go home at 02:00 am in his best sarcastic tone. I say back to him while biting my tongue, I didn't decide to go home at 02:00. We decided to go home this afternoon and left Monetville at 8:00 pm. We have been on the road till now.

BTW **** is short for Richard and cranium is referred to as head.

Jeff

j_martin

Admiral

Canada... Only country in the world that can (geographically) look down on USA. :D:D:D

Chris............

I have looked South at Canada from my boat, near Kettle Falls in Minnesota.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Tacklewasher, excellent video.

Thanks Jeff

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I have looked South at Canada from my boat, near Kettle Falls in Minnesota.

Picky, picky, picky.... :D:D:D (You can from Detroit too)

Shamus O'toole

Petty Officer 1st Class

it's always amazed me how little the schools here in the US teach our kids about our friends to the north.

Expidia

Commander

Great Vid. We live just over 3 hours south of Montreal and have been going there a few times a year for something like 40 years.

Too bad for the U.S. visitor that their economy has come back so fast.

The best part of Montreal for us was in years past you get to Montreal, walk into any bank give them say $100 U.S. and they used to give you back $160 Canadian.

Then you go shopping downtown on Saint Catherine's St and buy items on sale (like Cohiba cigars) have dinner and when you drive back over the border and shop at the duty free shop for cheap liquor . . .

You walk up to their counter and turn in your receipts showing sales tax for clothes and room taxes and they refund you any of those taxes back :)

What a country . . . but alas, I think the Canadian dollar is stronger than the U.s. dollar now :(

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

kenmyfam, I don't think you can do anything with this side of the brige. My experience with them on our way back home in 2008, from a wonderful fishing trip. Well lets just say I think they are Richard Craniums. We cut our trip short, showed up at the border and the Guy says, so why did you all of a sudden decide to go home at 02:00 am in his best sarcastic tone. I say back to him while biting my tongue, I didn't decide to go home at 02:00. We decided to go home this afternoon and left Monetville at 8:00 pm. We have been on the road till now.

BTW **** is short for Richard and cranium is referred to as head.

Jeff

I hear you. My company is actually investing in the USA. We have built a plant in Cleveland Ohio and another in Gadsden Alabama. We have doubled the size of the Alabama facility and are currently working on it's next expansion of another 50% floor space. We are employing over 500 Americans that have good paying jobs with good benefits. Whenever I travel to one of the plants to review the tooling, implement new things and interview prospective new (American) employees I get a very difficult time as to why I am crossing the border. Sometimes I think it would be easier to open a new Canadian plant !!!
They just don't get it !!! Sadly.

puddle jumper

Captain

it's always amazed me how little the schools here in the US teach our kids about our friends to the north.

When I was in grade school all we learned was American history as Canada didn't have any tex books on Canada,s history.

Bigprairie1

Commander

When I was in grade school all we learned was American history as Canada didn't have any tex books on Canada,s history.

Yeah, I remember that too. Luckily, things have been changing...albeit slowlyl.
My wife was really interested in watching that video and was really touched about that stuff with respect to the world wars. Her Dad was a pilot and navigator in WWII.
Great video, well worth watching.:)
BP:cool:

puddle jumper

Captain

Yeah, I remember that too. Luckily, things have been changing...albeit slowlyl.
My wife was really interested in watching that video and was really touched about that stuff with respect to the world wars. Her Dad was a pilot and navigator in WWII.
Great video, well worth watching.:)
BP:cool:

One of the things I like about modern Canadian teaching is they seem to go more into local history with national teaching also

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Chris............

Being a rugby player, I have known a number of Australians and Kiwis. The comparison that I see (and the Kiwis agree) is that the Canada/US relationship has a lot in common with the ANZAC dynamic.
We are both next door to a more populous, louder, and more self-assured/aggressive neighbour. The parallels continue from there.
Canada has more in common with the Kiwis....
The common thread (and again the Kiwis agree) is that we couldn't have a better neighbour, peculiarities aside....;)

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you our neighbors to the North, never knew some of those things. I do always enjoy my summer day trips across the border for great hospitality.

<3 Canadian Beer!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thanks tackel....thats great.

we (tackel and i) live four hours from vancouver......

if any one gets the chance to see supernatural british columbia....its well worth the trip !

Shamus O'toole

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks tackel....thats great.

we (tackel and i) live four hours from vancouver......

if any one gets the chance to see supernatural british columbia....its well worth the trip !

After watching all the coverage of the Olympics the wife and I are putting BC as a vacation destination. Maybe next year.