Mystery Motor!

CC Boat

Cadet
Please tell me what I have purchased. The former owner told me he thought it was a 1981 Johnson 115 but another person told him it was a 1981 Johnson 155. I doubt the 155 story because it is a V-4. I have looked all over the motor and bracket and I cannot find any serial or model numbers. Can someone tell me where to look on the block? I appreciate any help you can give.

PIC_0072.jpg

PIC_0071.jpg

rightmotor.jpg

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mystery Motor!

It's a V4 probably 1978. A 155 would be a V6.

There should be a nickel sized welch plug on top of one of the cylinder banks with numbers - what are they?

Attachments

• PIC_0072.jpg
    PIC_0072.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

plug right here, what are the numbers?

Attachments

• PIC_0072.jpg
    PIC_0072.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 0

CC Boat

Cadet

I will check it when I get home...Thanks I saw the number there but I cannot remember what it was. The motor must be pre-1980 because the number was not in a post 1980 format that is why I ignored it..Thanks again I will post the number later...Chris

CC Boat

Cadet

The number on the plug is C7022524. The first could be a 0 but I do not think so I am sure it is a C. Please let me know the year and H.P. plus what ratio to mix the gas...Thanks again Chris.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That's a serial number, which can be checked by a BRP dealer.

Is there a 1" X 3" model number plate on the port transom bracket?

I'm reasonably sure that the powerhead is model year 1978.

CC Boat

Cadet

That's a serial number, which can be checked by a BRP dealer.

Is there a 1" X 3" model number plate on the port transom bracket?

I'm reasonably sure that the powerhead is model year 1978.

There is not a number plate on the bracket. Where do I go to look up the year and hp?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You will need to take the serial number to a BRP/Evinrude dealer to have that number C7022524 researched.

If you take the air silencer off the carburetors, you may find sizes stamped on the carburetors that will give us a clue as to the horsepower.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's got the bubble back tuned exhaust. That usually narrows it down to a 135 or 140hp motor.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It's not a 135 because they stopped making those in 1976.

Some 115's were built with bubblebacks in 1978 and 1979.

This powerhead has choked carburetors which they stopped using in 1979.

But it's the mounting that makes it 1978.

Agree that it may be a 140.

CC Boat

Cadet

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate the help more than you know. I am going to call the nearest dealer and see if I can get the number researched...Thanks again...Chris

CC Boat

Cadet

I spoke to the local dealer today and he said that he cannot look up any information from the welsh plug and I was also told that there is no other information available on the motor as far as year, model number or horsepower because the plate from the bracket is missing. Is this true? What do I do next?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Serial number information is on file at BRP. Contact them. What's the name of your Evinrude dealership?

CC Boat

Cadet

Serial number information is on file at BRP. Contact them. What's the name of your Evinrude dealership?

BRP said they only provide technical advise on models from 1990 and newer. They advise to see a dealer for anything older than 1989. Any other Ideas?

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Basically sounds like they don't want to help you, since they won't be getting any money out of you anyways.
I'd try a different dealer, and perhaps mention you are wanting to buy some parts, but don't know they model year and hp to do so. They may be of more help then.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Doesn't matter much, but if the motor is a 140, which is likely, it has to be from 1977, 1978, or 1979. You can eliminate 1979 because the block is different.

There are few 140 models in 1978, so it would be fairly easy to compare your parts with the catalog parts. http://shop.evinrude.com/

CC Boat

Cadet

Basically sounds like they don't want to help you, since they won't be getting any money out of you anyways.
I'd try a different dealer, and perhaps mention you are wanting to buy some parts, but don't know they model year and hp to do so. They may be of more help then.

I actually found a guy out of Florida who was very helpful and he agrees, after seeing the pictures, the motor is likely a 140 from late 70's or early 80's. He told me he could get correct parts and if he could not tell from the pictures I sent him he would tell me what to photograph so he could tell me what to order. I would post his business so you guys could use him as well but I do not know if doing so would violate forum rules. I still do not know what to put on the cover when I restore it I guess I will go with 140 since it seems a safe bet. Does anyone know what the smallest and largest V-4 made during the time was?