new reg/rect, no charge, no tacho!

markoc85

Cadet
Hi, recently my tacho stopped working, and I was advised to check whether motor charged; it didn't, so as recommended I bought a brand new regulator/rectifier and installed it. But I still have no increase in battery voltage when motor is running, and my tacho still doesn't work!! Very frustrating!

What else could possibly be wrong?! I've tried the usual expletives, if anyone can suggest new ones pass them on and I'll try them, beating my wife didn't help either so if anyones got another one I can try then um yeah can I borrow? Just kidding :)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: new reg/rect, no charge, no tacho!

Is it wired correctly? I had a customer bring one in last year that someone had installed the main (red) battery wire from rectifier to the oppoisite side of solenoid.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Check that you have an AC input (using AC voltmer) Yellow wires I guess.

If you do check for a DC output on the red wire.

If you dont check the stator coil for contiuity

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Check the wiring, if your new rectifier is from CDI, contact their service department.

Installation and troubleshooting guide is here: http://cdielectronics.com/InstallSheet/193-4204.pdf

Be sure the battery is disconnected while installing.

Attachments

• DSCN0025.JPG
    DSCN0025.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 0

markoc85

Cadet

Ok cool yeah battery was disconnected while working. Its wired correctly, that was easy cos all the colours match up on the wiring strip. 4 star washers so it should be earthed.

I've undone yellow stator wires. Together they are 0.8 ohms, then to earth around 8-11 megaohms. Sound ok? What sort of ac voltage should I get from stator while running? Any other stator tests?

Thanks for that link Ezeke, will try that stuff this evening. Step 1 talks about putting an ammeter in line with red started solenoid wire, won't this blow my ammeter with like a billion amps when I engage the starter motor? I don't have a load bank yet but Step 6 talks about matching battery load to rated stator output, which is "3/9 amps" is this 3 to 9 or three nineths? And I presume this stator output rating is DC battery voltage terms, not the AC current straight off the stator correct?

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the wiring, if your new rectifier is from CDI, contact their service department.

Installation and troubleshooting guide is here: http://cdielectronics.com/InstallSheet/193-4204.pdf

Be sure the battery is disconnected while installing.

Ezeke,
I will use this an fine example of your detail and informative replies helping us Boaters including pictures.
Thank you and keep up the great work !

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

've undone yellow stator wires. Together they are 0.8 ohms, then to earth around 8-11 megaohms. Sound ok?
sounds OK.

Stator volts will depend on revs, but should soon get above 12 and appreciably more when the revs are increased.

Don't put your starter current through your ammeter! :eek: Just the current in the red wire from the rectifier is what they mean.

markoc85

Cadet

Ok so the latest is that after a bit of running the system has started charging @13.5V or so, through no efforts of myself, it just decided to work, maybe it just needed some revs or heat, happy days.

However,

The tacho still doesn't work. I've done the Joe Reeves test here
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=190636
And with grey connected to yellow/grey off stator, tacho works fine. So does this mean they've sold me a bad reg/rect, even though it was brand new?!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

.........So does this mean they've sold me a bad reg/rect, even though it was brand new?!

That is certainly possible, you can bench test to see if the diodes are bad.

markoc85

Cadet

Ok so it turns out the brand new CDI rect/reg was faulty from the start; I took it back and exchanged it and now it works fine. Frustrating but at least its done now!

Thanks for all your help.