Throttle travel on my 66

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I dont know much about outboards yet but what should it sound like at WOT? Even though we were clippin along pretty well it didnt really seem to me that it was ever really "screamin". Even when i would go from a troll to WOT it would kind of slowly accelerate.

I took off the cowling and watched the little roller that goes along the circle to control the throttle. How close should the roller get to the edge?

I didnt try it on the lake but with the motor off i noticed that at WOT I could move the roller maybe 1/2 to 3/4 an inch further with my finger but the throttle wont twist any further.

Thanks for all the help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Throttle travel on my 66

'66 what??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if in neutral, there is a safety stop, on the throttle linkage. it keeps you from over reving the motor.

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry its a 20hp pull start
And i know in neutral the rev limiter only lets it go so far.

When i have it in forward though it seems like i should have a little more twist.

Like i said the little roller above the carb that goes along that wheel thing can still go another 1/2 or 3/4 inch once the tiller is at WOT. Also when i do this the rod to the carb pushes down further as well.

Could anybody post a picture of the front of the motor with the cowl off at WOT? So i could see how far the roller is supposed to go and know whether or not i have a problem?

MudLake

Seaman

Sorry its a 20hp pull start
And i know in neutral the rev limiter only lets it go so far.

When i have it in forward though it seems like i should have a little more twist.

Like i said the little roller above the carb that goes along that wheel thing can still go another 1/2 or 3/4 inch once the tiller is at WOT. Also when i do this the rod to the carb pushes down further as well.

Could anybody post a picture of the front of the motor with the cowl off at WOT? So i could see how far the roller is supposed to go and know whether or not i have a problem?

I have 20 hp johnsons.
I will post pics this evening
cheers

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

You may need to do what's called a "link and sync". This synchronizes the carb with the advance of the ignition. It is a matter of moving the brass "cam" that the roller rides on to open fully at full advance and close down when idling. Rick

MudLake

Seaman
Re: Throttle travel on my 66 back to top with pics of mine

Here are the pics i said i would provide.

Picture one show roller to right of the cam index at idle.
cam and roller do not touch.

Picture two show the index on the cam where the roller touches the cam and throttle starts to open.

Picture three show my WOT. As you can see were are talking about 3/4 of an inch from end of cam

Hope this helps
cheers

Attachments

• Carb roller on cam at idle.JPG
    Carb roller on cam at idle.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Roller at index where throttle starts to open.JPG
    Roller at index where throttle starts to open.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
  • roller on cam at full throttle.JPG
    roller on cam at full throttle.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 0

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks thats what I was wonderin about mine looks just like that too.

When yours is at WOT does the rod to the carb still have some travel?

MudLake

Seaman

yes, there is still throttle travel but the throttle plate is going across the centre of the opening.

cheers

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks a bunch.

I guess i was just being paranoid, I thought the 20 would push my boat faster than 15 with only two people in it though.

Not too big of a deal i knew it wasnt gonna be a speedboat and it planes easy so I'm pretty happy. Ill try and load some pics this weekend. Im keeping the boat in a friends garage right now so I wont get to see it til this weekend probably.

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I thought it would be faster because our 16 ft bass attacker is a much bigger and heavier boat with just a 35 and with 4 people on board it will do 30. But i figured since I have half the boat weight..