advice needed considering restoration project

cambosoup99

Seaman
hello,

First of all I would like to begin by saying thank god I found a forum like this. I'm considering purchasing a project boat. its a 1986 searay with non working mercruiser 140.

I went too look at it today, well this is what i found just by looking at it. I'm no boat guru.

*rotted floor, all deck needs to be replaced.

*outside hull in good shape, no breaks tears rips from what i can see.

*engine unknown. guy says he never worked on it but includes extra non working motor, and outdrive.

*trailer in good shape.

can you guys tell me what i need to look for in the hull. I know that the floor is bad but what about underneath it?

I have access to most tools needed to cut and replace the floor even a 4'x 4' CNC machine.

I know nothing about boats but I figure i could learn as i go with this project if i decide to get it. they are asking 500.00 for all boat,trailer, extra parts.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 0

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: advice needed considering restoration project

Most likey the stringers(underfloor support) will be rotted and need replacing as well.. You need to open up the floor hatch and inspect underneath.. Also you need to check the transom. It could be rotted too. Check for stress cracking and flexing(while putting your weight on the outdrive.. If it turns out just the floor needs replacing, its not a horrible thing. But If the floor, stringers and transom are rotted out, it will be a MAJOR project. Taking into consideration the upholstery needs to be replaced, and the engine will likely need work. It will be a in-depth, expensive project.

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

That galvanized trailer is probably worth more than 500 bucks at least.

fishrdan

Admiral

$1000 *rotted floor, all deck needs to be replaced.

OK *outside hull in good shape, no breaks tears rips from what i can see.

$1000 +- *engine unknown. guy says he never worked on it :eek: but includes extra non working motor, and outdrive :eek: . (why would it come with an extra engine and drive, if it didn't need them, cracked block? blown drive?)

Bonus *trailer in good shape.

$1000 interior and miscellaneous things that need to be fixed....

$500 for the boat

The question you have to ask yourself is, is this boat going worth $3500 and a few months of weekends to fix up. Or, would it be better to buy a boat ready to use for $3500. I don't think it would be that hard to find a decent mid 80's boat with a 140HP Mercruiser for $3500.

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ask yourself one question....would you enjoy fixing this boat up for $3500 or would you like to just buy a boat ready to go on the water for $3500 instead.

Part of why I started my restore was because i wanted to build it myself.

Gl with what ever direction you choose to take.:)

RC