Shift cable question

shouldsellit

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all been awhile since I posted.

I developed a tear in my u-joint bellow at the end of the season, pulled the drive out and stuck it in the basement for the winter.

Replacing all the bellows with new shift cable and had a question.
My shift cable nut was on the backside of the housing so had to get the merc tap for the new cable to go in front.

Everything went in fine but it feels like I have to turn the nut pretty hard to screw it into the housing, as the whole cable turns..is that normal? Don't want to screw it up after all the time it took just to feed it in.

BTW thought is was weird but didn't have a 9/16 socket deep enough to reach the nut, actually welded 2 sockets together. Is there a special tool from merc for that?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shift cable question

You mentioned you changed the bellows, but what about the gimbal bearing and ujoints?

When you replaced the cable, did you retap the hole with the proper tap before installing the cable? If not, you are in for a lot of problems.

2 sockets welded together is what everyone does for the special socket.

shouldsellit

Seaman Apprentice

I used a quicksilver tap, don't remember the exact dimensions but got it online and is supposed to be for that application.

The bearing and u-joint had no rust on either and both were in good shape. I pulled that boat out when it started leaking so I don't think It had much time to do any damage.

Don S

There is always a gap between the nut and the housing (around 1/8"), so don't even try to get it down flush, or you will destroy the cable.
Here is from the manual, you may have missed it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0

shouldsellit

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks I actually have been through it. I have not even threaded it down that far yet, my main concern was just then tension on the cable when threading it in. I guess it is normal since you have not said anything about it.

Don S

I also can't see what you have, just guessing and offering suggestions.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The 'nut' is fixed to the cable so as you screw it in the cable MUST be allowed to rotate freely..... or you'll damage the cable...

shouldsellit

Seaman Apprentice

The 'nut' is fixed to the cable so as you screw it in the cable MUST be allowed to rotate freely..... or you'll damage the cable...

Yes that is what I am worried about. The cable will move just seems a little tight through transom area when I turn the nut. Just wanted some clarification before I really tried to screw it it the housing.

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a heads up, when I installed new bellows on mine last fall my gimbal bearing looked great from the outdrive side but my gut told me to pull it anyway. The backside of the gimbal bearing was rusted and pitted on the engine side. If I were you I'd go ahead and change it out while the outdrive is off.