Another "Quess the Noise" thread on a 1994 OMC Cobra

supermottl

Cadet
Hey all, I have a 21' 1994 Seaswirl Striper W/A with the Ford Volvo 5-liter 2-barrell carb, and OMC Cobra (SX?) outdrive. Took it for a spin and developed a noise coming from the transom area. Sounds like a bearing going bad.
-the noise is related to engine RPM
-the noise is NOT related to FWD or Reverse, makes no difference and shifting is not a problem
-it can not be heard from behind the boat
-It can be heard from the cockpit.

Other than the Gimbal bearing, are there any other bearings or bushing between the OD and the engine that can go bad?

What ideas do you all have?
Thanks,
-Steve-

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Another "Quess the Noise" thread on a 1994 OMC Cobra

Other than the Gimbal bearing, are there any other bearings or bushing between the OD and the engine that can go bad?

Could be the ujoints. When was the last time the drive was removed and the bellows checked for water?

supermottl

Cadet

It's been a while since I've pulled the O/D, but when I did last, a few years ago and they looked brand-new. Woulnt the noise change as the o/dead raised/lowered or steered left/right? I noticed no difference to the noise during a turn or o/d trim angle. I would love it if it were just the u-joints, that would be easy. Any othr ideas? I can pull the o/d this weekend.
Thanks again!

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

I have the same noise in my 88 omc cobra from day one. New gimble bearing/ u-joints, double checked the alighnment everythings tight. I ran her all summer like that and it doesn't get worse just steady vibration/ bad bearing kinda noise. i checked prop. I'm not gonna fix it because i can't single out the problem. Same here it's coming from between engine and drive. I was wondering if there was any history to this mystery too. Dont mean to take over your thread but seems we may have the same issue. If one of us figures out something we may shed light to the other. I'm going to Check some more things on mine to see if i might be able to narrow it down. I grease the gimble and no change either. Wondering about the drive coupling? I've seen the Mercruiser ones warp out of round from sitting in an unused boat like the weight of the engine or something warped it over time. I bought one on e-bay once and got it in the mail and it was as crooked as a rams horn. But wasn't stripped. I haven't had mine that far apart to check that theory. However i di put the used one that came with the motor in there, maybe i overlooked if it was warped. Food for thought for ya.