Should I buy a Boat with a force engine?

Martman

Seaman
Should a person buy a force engine ever. Really nice boat with only 40 hours on it with a force 85HP motor. Is buying a force just asking for trouble.

Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Should I buy a Boat with a force engine?

You should probably tell us the year. The Force experts might know if some years were better than others.

As far as should you buy one? If the price is right sure. I wouldn't pay as much for a Force as I would for another brand that is fully supported with parts. Just don't expect to be able to take it to your local repair place for service or pick up parts at any local marina. I've heard mixed reports on how difficult finding parts can be. Some say it's easy, some say not. I have heard they are pretty easy to work on.

Martman

Seaman

It is an 89 Spectrum 1700 with only 43 hours on it. Looks like new. (Acording to the dealer) who is 6 hours away from me, but he has sent me a dozen photos, which support his claim.

Attachments

• 1989spectrum.jpg
    1989spectrum.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 0

Kevdog540

Cadet

I purchased an 88' Force 125 a few months ago. It had a few problems when I got, but I haven't had any problem finding the parts I needed, and fairly easy to work on.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What's he asking for it?

Martman

Seaman

It has a new trailer with it, full top, and ped bow seat and he is asking $6500 canadian, or about 6K US. By US standards that seems like alot, but we do not have the same seclection of boats here that you do in the US.
The upholstery is perfect thw whole package looks mint, and stored inside when not in use. I am considering offering him $5500.00 for the package.
With only 43 hours on the unit I should get a couple of trouble free years out of the motor, then if it dies I can replace it with something better. The boat looks like is worth repowering. i will keep it in my garage when not in use. I alos do alot of auto and HD mechanic work so tinkering would not be a problem.

Attachments

• 1989spectrum.jpg
    1989spectrum.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I hate to be negative, I really do but.......in my area that rig would be worth $2500 tops. Maybe $3500 to someone not knowing the situation with Force's. Those Spectrum's are the Bayliners of aluminum boats (I believe they were US Marine so they were actually built by the same company). Kinda snazzy but not very well built. I'm not saying it's a bad boat. It looks very well taken care of and that trailer is immaculate but that price is just way too high. (I'm am aware though that boats in some areas of canada are really expensive. I don't know where you are but perhaps importing a US boat would be an option.)

jkust

Rear Admiral

I wouldn't hesitate. I have owned a 1984 Force 85hp since 1984 and it has had zero problems with zero maintainance other than annual winterization. Unfortunately my experience differs from a lot of folks on here. That said it would help to buy a brand with available parts. I don't know whether Force falls into that category or not. I have heard both ways. How did the dealer support the 43 hour claim?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Wow, yeah, would go for $3000 at best here, probably less.

Be prepared to spend $$ on that motor from the onset.

Its been used very little, maybe, and parts fail with age, seals and gaskets do to.

Do not, repeat, do not buy that boat without a test drive. Period.

Areas of concern, lower unit seals, water pump, brittle wiring insulation, bad/cracked coils, gummed carbs, bad wiring on stator and trigger, low compression, stuck rings, scored cylinders.

For the boat, that the welded hull.
The welded hull was very light duty, and handled poorly on the water.
It bounced and porpoised badly as it was tail heavy. And it washed (slid) out in the turns due to hull shape and strakeless design. I owned one.

The upholstery in those boats was cheap an it dry rotted, so even if it looks good now, with a little use, it will age fast.

Don't know where you are located, but it may be worth looking south of the border.
At the very least, wait till spring when there are more boats for sale.

And don't spend that kind of money without a test drive.

iboats member puddle jumper, has this boat. He is a a fellow Canadian. Perhaps you could send him a private message and get his opinion.

http://for-sale.yakaz.com/view.php?...qIy4lfJq8GYZGCzTL5IS%2F85DR1%2FbdczxsxxWZg%3D

Martman

Seaman

Thanks for all the great information on this boat. It sure helps to have others opinions when looking to buy something.

After reading these I will problably not persue this one any further.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good luck with your search Martman. If it makes you feel any better, you're on the right track to carefree boating if you keep looking for outboard powered aluminum hulls. An aluminum hull takes out the biggest worry for glass boat owners which is rotted stringers. You may still have the deck and transom to worry about but on a aluminum those can be replaced in a weekend. I'm not a fan of the Spectrums or of Trackers but haven't heard much bad about any other brands. For motors the only outboard to avoid is a Chrysler/Force due to parts and service support.

Martman

Seaman

The boat in question sold yesterday for $6500.00 Canadian. Our boats up here sell for a way higher premium than your US baots. A 1987 17 foot with a 70 hp yamaha sold privately for $3500.00 before I could even get there to look at it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think that's more than it probably cost new!