1985 150 HP lower unit question

fishinguy2183

Recruit
I purchased a 19 ft 1985 Cajun bass boat with a Johnson 150 GT (J150STLCOS) for a mere $1500 knowing I had to replace the lower unit and clean the boat up considerably.

Prior owner blew the lower unit and then didn't maintain the boat at all until he sold it.

The boat is cleaned up now and I'm in pursuit of the lower unit. Having only spent $1500 on the boat itself I don't want to be throwing too much cash at a new or refurbished lower unit. I've been browsing on ebay and craigslist trying to find a good clean used lower unit.

The 150 hp has a 20 inch shaft and I've been finding a number of 25" lower units from the 175+ hp. For example, I just found what appears to be a model 0393458 lower unit from a 1985 175 hp but I need a 0393457 model according to shop.evinrude.com.

Can I take the shaft (and shift lever) and put it one one of these lower units is the question. Any and all suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated so that I can figure out what direction to go.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 150 HP lower unit question

You would be better off to get the correct driveshaft in the first place since changing will require disassembly. Try the salvage yards and ask for a limited warranty.

You might also check to see if someone can set up a new SEI unit for you.

Salvage Yards:
sea-way.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
outboardexchange.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
budgetboats.net
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com
trixieslanding.com
mmmarinesalvage.com

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1985 150 HP lower unit question

I just purchased a lower unit for that same motor for a friend for $150. keep looking for right shaft length and do not get the V-4 gear case cause it has a different gear ratio then you are looking for a new prop. should be the 1.86:1 ratio.