water pump on 1988 40 HP Nissan

Gamble

Cadet
fixing to install a new impeller.........old one is still working, but could use a new one.........don't know how old the one in there is.........is are any tip I should know about before I attempt this? Thanks for the help.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: water pump on 1988 40 HP Nissan

Pretty straightforward job; Disengage shifter, drop LU, unbolt pump (don't lose drive key for impeller), replace parts as needed.

I would make 3 recommendations:

1 - Get a service manual from any dealer (labor cost saved on the w/p job alone will pay for it, and the job will go faster/easier.
2 - Install a water pump kit instead of just the impeller. Same labor, and replaces worn plate and cup along with the impeller.
3 - At this motor age (20+ years), verify and/or replace LU seals while the LU is down. If replacing seals, don't ignore the shifter o-rings.

Gamble

Cadet

Hey thanks for the reply, I appreciate it........prolly gonna tackle it in the next few weeks.........I'll post up w/any more questions!

honeybunny

Recruit

how do i disengage the shifter rod so the lower unit drops?

pvanv

Admiral

Drive out the lower ss roll pin from the shift rod coupler. See your Factory service manual, available from any dealer, including me.