need advice on 50 horse merc

absosecur

Cadet
hello i am new to this site.it looks like there is a lot of knowledge with you guys so i think i am going to love it here.this is a 71 yr mod series 400 motor.it has the coil with distributor.the motor ran great for years and all at once just would not open up.it cranks right up and runs good on low end but when opened up will stall and sounds like a dead miss.was told it was trash in a carb so we just completely went thru the carbs with kits.we didnt replace the jets.the fuel is clean so its not a issue with trash.i have done nothing with the fuel pump and wondering if it could be misfiring inside the distributor cap.i am replacing the gasket around the spark plugs tomorrow in hopes that will fix it but i dont think it will cause my plugs are clean.i am lost and really trying to figure this out on my own.if i take it to my local shop i have no doubt i will miss most of my best fishing this spring.someone please give me some advice on what to look for or check to get this resolved?????thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: need advice on 50 horse merc

How clean are the plugs? If they are really clean, you're getting water into the cylinders, probably though the exhaust ports....