Boat takes on water

Jimmy310

Seaman Apprentice
Im not sure if this is the right place for this post but here goes.

I have an older outboard that runs excellent.
The problem is when I throttle up in speed there is allot of water that comes on to where the outboard mounts. Not into the hull but the "trough" behind the hull where the outboard mount on. It seems as though the water is kicked up only when I throttle over 25 nots.
Is this a prop problem?
Should I change the pitch of the outboard? At this time its at a 90* to the hull.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you
Jimmy310

hwsiii

Commander
Re: Boat takes on water

Jimmy, that is the classic symptom of a motor that is mounted too low, your anti ventilation plate should be at least even with the bottom of the boat, and preferably 1" above the bottom of the boat.

AntiventilationPlateStraightEdge-2.jpg

H

Jimmy310

Seaman Apprentice

Hwsiii thank you very much for the reply.
Im glad its not something too serious.
That drawing is worth a thousand words.
Thank you.
Jimmy310

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Water in the Motor well is usually caused by a motor mounted too low on the transom. I agree with HSW the anitcavitation plate should be even with the bottom of the boat.

robert graham

Admiral

You can raise your motor up on the transom, but an easy/cheap fix maybe you could add one of those bolt-on hydrofoil fins to your cavitation plate to help raise the back of the boat a bit. Sounds like your rig might really benefit from one. Places like Boater's World, Cabela's, iBoats carry a variety of them.
Good Luck!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Actually you don't want to put on a fin if the motor is even close to being too low. Under those circumstances the fin may actually make things worse. It probably won't create lift but may actually pull the stern down if the fin gets below the water's surface.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I agree with that. Keep away from the whale tail if at all possible.