A few Merc 5.7 repair questions

skongolf

Seaman
I have a 97 Maxum 20sfc and just recently got back from the dealer to have the carb adjusted and when I pick it up they give me a estimate for $1300 for various other things including a carb rebuild. Well the thing is I just had the carb rebuilt less than 40 hours ago and I don't think they new that. Needless to say I was a little ticked and left with my boat. Most of the stuff was basic maintainance but a couple thing I wanted to see how hard they may be to do myself.
First they wanted to replace the manifold riser gaskets. At a cost of about $200. I have the mercruiser repair manual and it looks pretty straight forward. I can do some repairs to cars, and this one seems pretty basic. Anything to be aware of?
Second, the outdrive oil resovoir has a leak at the bottom and they want $100 to replace it not including the part. That one seams really easy, but I just want to make sure I don't get air in the line, so I was looking for some suggestions of what to do when I replace it.
Third they wanted to put a new tensioner, idler pully on since the one that is on there now is rattling. Again seems pretty straight forward, but??...
Finally they wanted to do a complete tune up. Plugs, wires, distributor, ect. That also seems pretty easy since I have done this on several cars. So any suggestions there.
Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can give me.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: A few Merc 5.7 repair questions

Ayuh,...Personally,... I think all those repairs are pretty basic, almost no-brainer stuff...
It just depends on how Handy you are,+ if you're Willin' to get down 'n dirty in the bilge...
And of course, Atleast a basic Toolbox full a Tools...

Up in the Adults Only section at the top of this forum is a Goldmine of Great info for maintaining your boat...
As for your current troubles,...
Drian the manifolds, then change the riser gaskets,...
The oil bottle is just remove,+ replace,... Any bit of air will vent off, just check the level in a day or so...
The tensioner shouldn't be more than loosening the belt,+ swappin' it...
For the tune up,....
Go up,+ read the Adults Only section for a couple of Days,...
Then come back with any questions....

JustJason

Vice Admiral

None of it is all that "hard" if your fairly handy, have a good selection of tools, and have the proper service manual and can follow directions.

As to your carb...
1. not every carb can be rebuilt
2. the last guy that rebuilt your carb may not have got it completely clean
3. if you have 10 pounds of trash in the fuel tank, even a perfect carb rebuilt isn't going to last a long time.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

The prices quoted don't seem out of line with what a dealer charges, based on the time, training, overhead, etc. to run his business. Just think of what it costs to do the same work on your car at a car dealership. That said, I'd suggest you do it yourself. Pick up instructions from this site and a manual; get your tool ready; and go to work. Even if it takes you a half day, you will have saved some real money and have learned how your boat works. Suggestions:To change the spark plugs you're going to need a long extension and a good plug socket. A straight length of rubber hose the right size to hold the plug will make it easier to screw in the new plug without stripping the head. A little anti-seize paste on the threads will help you next time when you need to remove it. Latex gloves from the HD or Lowes or pharmacy will help keep you hands clean. When changing the riser gaskets, make sure you clean off all of the old gaskets from both mating surfaces, Good luck. Hy

skongolf

Seaman

Yes I am prepared to get as dirty as need be that is for sure if it is going to save some $$$$.
I read through the manual a few times and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on how it drain the manifolds. The manual was not real specific or maybe I just missed something.
As for the carb, my boat starts great when cold, but when It gets to operating temp and it sits for more than 10 minutes, I have to fast throttle start it.
So I will definately read up in the Sticky and get after it.!!

skongolf

Seaman

So I read through the manual again and am still struggling how to figure out how to get the water out of the manifolds to replace the riser gaskets. I guess i need to know first if I have an open or closed system. I am thinking its a closed system without a sea water pump. Just curious how I check. Again it is a 97 maxum run about with a 5.7 mercruiser. If anyone wants to give a speedy write up, that would be awesome:D

Bondo

Staff member

I am thinking its a closed system without a sea water pump.
Ayuh,... You'd better do ALOT more readin',...
It appears you're missing the basic concepts of most All of your motor....

Even closed cooling systems have raw water pumps...
Unless you can see a radiator cap on top of a cannister on your motor,..
You have raw water cooling, with the raw water impeller in the drive...

There are, or should be Drain Plugs along the bottom of the exhaust manifolds there somewhere to drain 'em....

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Some boat/parts dealers think anything Boating = big $ And it worked for awhile, made a few higher ups wealthy, but will bite them in the a** soon. He** it already is. Their slowly going out of buisiness 1 by 1 because with this recession they continue to price gouge parts/labor, etc. eg. car dealers they're discontinuing models and so on, and people aren't paying it and or can't afford it. The big Corps. are are finding it out slowly the hard way. I think those prices are a little pricey for what they did. IMO You can do alot yourself with manuals, common sense, and Iboat forums. Lot of knowlegable people here willing to walk you through. Helped me through alot of boating ?s good luck.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

my boat starts great when cold, but when It gets to operating temp and it sits for more than 10 minutes, I have to fast throttle start it.

Easy fix as well. Choke sticking or your well plugs are leaking...

skongolf

Seaman

Bond o- Exactly what I needed to hear. No cooling canister, so now I know what system I have. So it sounds like I just need to pull the plugs on the riser. Thanks

Alph- The boat repair place said that my carb was leaking into the intake manifold and flooding it, but when I told them my carb had been rebuilt, they went Oh.... Anyway, what are the well plugs and any suggestions for checking the choke?

Bondo

Staff member

So it sounds like I just need to pull the plugs on the riser.

Ayuh,... The drain plugs are on the bottom of the exhaust Manifolds,....
The risers are on top of the manifolds...

skongolf

Seaman

Yeah I just looked in the manual again and it said to remove drain plugs from either the bottom of the elbow or the riser. I have 3 inch risers on top of my manifolds. I will definately be checking and double checking the manual pics with my actual boat when I get it home to do the repair.