5.7 SBC casting numbers?

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just picked up a 5.7 out of a 1990 dump truck for next to nothing and want to know if the heads off this motor are any good? Head number 14102191 and block number 14093638. I am going to use the block but want to see if I can make any money off the heads. I already have a good set of vortecs that I will be using for the build up. I googled it but I figured if anyone has a book it might be more accurate. thanks

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 5.7 SBC casting numbers?

That is a very useful site Don. Block looks good, just need to pull the pan and see if it is a 2 bolt or 4. I am pretty sure the heads are worthless though.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't matter if it's a 2 or 4 bolt main. Marine engines from Merc, OMC, and Volvo have always been 2 bolt.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, I dont really need the 4 bolt because I will be using it no matter what. I am just curious to see what it has. I just need to get the balancer off and then the pan, I will fill you in tonight.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

The heads can be used as anchors, and if your Vortec heads end with a 906 you can throw them on with the other ones...

Bondo

Staff member

and if your Vortec heads end with a 906 you can throw them on with the other ones...

Ayuh,... I agree the originals are Fuelie heads, which are just standard production heads,...
But,...
What have you got against the 906 Vortecs,..??

Btw,... Those Fuelie heads just might be worth a few bucks, considering the # of Frozen boats this year...

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

My vortec heads end with 062 which I believe are the better of the two. I think they only outflow the other heads by a little though and something with the valve seat material? I try not to be a pack rat but maybe I will store the junk heads in the shed just in case but the first time I trip over them they are history. LOL :D

zbnutcase

Commander

Was it a truck bigger than 1 ton? If so it could have 4 bolt mains and a forged crank. 'nutcase

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im not sure how big it was. My buddy works at a scrap yard and told me it came out of a dump truck and it did have a turbo 400 bolted to it. I was supposed to yank the pan tonight but got caught up in other stuff so I will do it tomorrow and let you know. How can I tell if it has a forged crank?

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

Neither the heads or block appear to be anything special. Block could be either 2 or 4 bolt main. Here's a site you can check Chevy casting numbers at. Should be a number on the crank also which you can check at this site.
http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

to ID a forged crank look at the parting line on the throws, a forged crank will have a 3/8 to5/8 wide parting line, a cast crank will have a parting line that is sharp