Buying a used boat: Evidence of water leaking into hull?

peppyjd

Recruit
Hi all, this is my first post...hopefully a fruitful one. Reading through the forums has been very helpful on various engine topics with regard to the pontoon that I own. However, I know nothing about fiberglass boats. Have been considering purchasing one for lake fishing. Anyway, I drove three hours to look at one yesterday, a 1994 Sunbird Neptune CC with 90 hp evinrude, even went on a test drive. I did not purchase the boat because the fiberglass floor that was underneath the console had been removed, and there was a piece of removable plywood covering the hole. I removed that and could see an area with foam and wood. Both were quite wet. Took a flashlight, and it was wet as far as I could see in. The owner said that he had washed the boat earlier that day, and that the boat had been sitting without cover for about 5 months. Read enough in this forum to understand that wet wood and wet foam is impending disaster.

Seeing how I did a total rebuild on the pontoon last winter, I would like to buy a boat (on a small budget) that does not need to be rebuilt! I think it was somewhat fortunate that I could see into the hull and see that it was wet, but my question is, without that "window" how can I tall if there is any leaking going on inside the hull? I have read about soft floors and transoms, and even taking a rubber hammer to tap and listen....but what might I be listening for? What about small holes in the bow area where things like trolling motors used to be mounted (but are no longer there), if those are still open, can water get into the hull that way as well? I have to say that this issue has significantly put a damper on my enthusiasm for buying a used boat. Hopefully I can get some ideas from those more experienced. Thanks in advance...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Buying a used boat: Evidence of water leaking into hull?

but my question is, without that "window" how can I tall if there is any leaking going on inside the hull?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....
Considering the vintage of craft you're lookin' at,...
I would assume that they Are in fact Soaked,+ then look for evidence to prove that assumption wrong....

Each hull is different,+ each has to be accessed differently....

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Buying a used boat: Evidence of water leaking into hull?

Precisely why many people prefer aluminum boats.