Evinrude 15hp prop shaft moves

paw2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I was searching old posts and couldn't find my exact issue. I have a 15hp (1976) that the shaft output of the lower unit, moves about 1/4 inch in and out. Its not the propellor on the shaft, but the shaft itself. The motor does shift into forward and reverse. The motor is non running for a broken ring, but I'm able to spin the motor over and the shaft turns. In the parts drawings the bearing housing looks like what holds the shaft from moving in and out.

Any suggestions on the excessive movement of the shaft? or is this ok since the forward and reverse gears slide on this shaft and the shaft just floats? I would assume the thrust bearing is pushing against the bearing housing?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 15hp prop shaft moves

I painted my 15 yesterday, same year and I had to take the prop off. The output shaft had zero play as far as moving in and out. Sounds like either that bearing carrier assembly is worn or the shaft itself , all I know is there is no in and out movement on the shaft on either my 15 or 9.9. You'll have to pull it apart to inspect, that's probably why it's not shifting either.