2004 mercury 60hp 4 stroke starting & fuel overflow

rhamm62

Recruit
I have a 2004 Mercury 60hp 4 stroke EFI outboard and it will not start. When I try to start the motor fuel comes out of a tube below the engine housing. Is this some type of overflow or pressure relief and what could be causing it or did I just flood it ? The motor has not been started in 6 months.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: 2004 mercury 60hp 4 stroke starting & fuel overflow

I have a 2004 Mercury 60hp 4 stroke EFI outboard and it will not start. When I try to start the motor fuel comes out of a tube below the engine housing. Is this some type of overflow or pressure relief and what could be causing it or did I just flood it ? The motor has not been started in 6 months.

Overflow or vent,,, thats easy,, NO.
Any extra fuel is routed back to the tank. As for flooding it, if you flooded it so bad the fuel was running out of it then you have bigger problems.
Unless you have the proper tools and knowledge to work on this motor, take it to a dealer. The money you spend will be a good investment in not getting stranded out on the water.
I know its a little stressful parting with the cash, but when your hummin along with no issues, you will be very happy...:D

kaimalie

Seaman Apprentice

I Have A 2005 30 Hp Efi, I Just Had That Problem. Is It A Efi Or Carb Set Up ? If It's The Efi Its Going To Be The Fuel Regulator Inside Of The Vst, But Check The Pressure At The Vst It Should Be Between 40 - 44 Psi If Its Lower Than That It's The High Pressure Pump.
If Its The Pump You're Better Off Buying A New Vst Its Cheaper That Way And Everything In The Vst Will Be New.the Fuel Regulator And The High Pressure Pump Sits Inside The Vst.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

It depends on your serial number, if its early style it has pressure regulator externally mounted and it could be float or needle inside VST tank. Best to take to a dealer and have checked as posted earlier...