1997 Four Winns prop question

chadelliott

Seaman Apprentice
I did a search for this and didnt turn up much I could compare too. So here goes.

Just picked up a 1997 Four Winns RX w/volvo penta 4.3l GL and SX drive. Four winns specs. from website calls for a 3 blade 13.5 x 22p prop. PO has a 15 x 17 3 blade prop on there. Boat reaches max rpm (4600rpm) very quickly and can go beyond(but I know better then to do that) but max speed is below 35mph with no load in boat on calm waters Manual states at WOT speed should be 46 mph. I want to put the original spec. prop back on but am worried about performance, ie. speed, hole shot, planning time. What are any of your thoughts or experiences????

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yet another prop question!!!!

I had a 23 pitch on a 19ft Glastron with a 4.3GXI. it had great low end torque and a good hole shot. Top speed was 55MPH. I think that a 22 or 21 pitch would serve you well. Stainless will give you top performance.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I have a feeling the PO did a lot of sking probably with a real boat load or perhaps was running at extended altitude.I wouldn't be afraid of the factory suggested prop
unless they suggest something different for sking etc.If your looking for all around performance with an average load factory suggestion should work well.

chadelliott

Seaman Apprentice

The PO didnt ski, just pulled around adults on a tube. I am going to go with factory specs with the new prop. The wife and I just pull are kids on the tube we have. They are to young to ski and dont go fast enough on it to justify an out-of-spec. prop. Plus I dont like the possibilty of over revving the engine.

chadelliott

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1997 Four Winns prop question

Sweeeeet, new Turning Point prop came in last night. Just put it on this morning when I got home from work. Went with a 14 1/4 x 21 aluminum. Heard nothing but great reviews about Turning Point.

Cant wait to try it out, but you know how the weather goes here in AZ. probably wont get out to the lake til later today.............damn!