1988 Johnson

Texasman58

Recruit
I have a 1988 Pro Craft Bassboat that I just traded for. At low speed it grinds going into gear and will slip into neutral, however as the speed picks up it dosen't do this. Is this just an adjustment problem. The steering also seems to be kinda tight. Do I need to grease the cables or something/

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1988 Johnson

shifting is a quick fast movement, not a slow movement. grinding the gears wears them. most likely a shift rod adjustment. remove the steering cable at the engine tilt tube, clean both cable and tube, grease in tube, reinstall. if still stiff, replace cable. if it is original it is due for replacement.

Texasman58

Recruit

Thanks for the information. It is a 1988 88 HP. It just seems to jump out of forward into neutral when you start off slow or try to run the engine real slow. Are these engines easy to flood out. I was on the lake yesterday and ran the motor quite a while. It started ad ran good. I put about 6 gallons of gas and oil mix in it and ran it about ten minutes down the lake. After fishing a couple of hours and starting the engine several times, it wouldn't start again. Before this it started easily on the first crank. Could I have gotten some bad fuel or maybe just flooded the engine out? Are these engines generally pretty good ones?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

possible water in tank? read the TOP SECRET FILE.