um wow my plan worked, debt free??? hmmm..

ezbtr

Commander
and surely my credit cant be perfect but I would assume lots better? Got Child support false accusations off credit(they actually told me how to do it, after profusely apologizing for their mistakes) ,done. DMV now deems me worthy after talking to Child Support services, ok license good a month ago,(no notice given from 2007??? last OLD "balance transfer " from ex PAID this a.m., leaving one old charge off - and maybe 3 months of truck payments, which i could pay now, but want to have savings and that damn truck boosted my credit :)
5.5 years.......I was assumed guilty of all until IIIIIIII proved myself innocent and honest...unbeleivable - but hey Im happy and house buying should be easier now!
All those in tight times, please beleive you CAN recover w/o a bankruptcy....dont go the route of these cheapy, "its so easy" agencies, YOU can call creditors and negotiate - listen first to their offer of setlement, then offer 25% - I actually paid off all ASAP, weighing interest rates, made a few "kill the rates to zero - "do you want to get paid"?, auto payments, it worked. i and son live cheap but just fine, we'll keep living under means, is easy - and SAVE and invest!
P.S. I did get some great advice from here, also looking into Roth ira as well as doing my co. 401K :)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: um wow my plan worked, debt free??? hmmm..

Glad things are working out for you.:)
I totally agree. You can sort things out yourself with better results.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Being debt free is the only way to go.

I've been debt free for over 20 years. Sure feels good,doesn't it.

Congrats

skargo

Banned

Congrats, the hard work is worth it!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.......I was assumed guilty of all until IIIIIIII proved myself innocent and honest...unbeleivable -

Congrats on being 'out from under'.... I too have owned my house for the last 6 years, and have plenty of savings behind me :D:D It's a very comforting feeling....

And what I've quoted is also a 'shake my head in disbelief' moment too... We have the same (anti-constitutional???) laws here. How can the constitution say you're innocent till proven guilty and then have the IRS (Tax office in Oz) say that you have to proven your innocence, and if you don't, you're guilty?

Makes me think about what happen yesterday with the guy who flow his plane into the IRS building. How badly must they have treated him to have pushed him that far? It's ALMOST a case of they got what they asked for.... Makes you wonder really.....

Chris........

Fly Rod

Commander

Congratulations from getting out from the rocky, bumpy road to finding that newly smooth paved road which may lead you to the American dream of home ownership.

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

Congrats!!! Having gone through the same mess I completely understand how relieved you feel now. I admire your dedication.

ezbtr

Commander

Thanks guys - yeah, also it amazes me(I know some of you have gone through this as well) when an "agency or dept." will put liens, accussations, garnishments due to false allegations, then find out you were correct all along, even though they messed your credit, etc up, and you get a "Oh, this happens some times, we're so sorry"..and the guilty parties get no penalization...
What I learned was: never have a "credit repair co." (unless the official one, forgot name, yet they still make % off you) "help" you, they could make youre credit worse even though you "settled", YOU can yourself make arrangements with creditors.
When an agency says all fixed, VERIFY it yourself ("oh so and so was supposed to change yourr file, but she was on vacation that day") happens, living inexpensively is very do able, cook at home/pack lunches, monitor your spending.
And I know this has come up, but what if we ALL just didnt use credit cards??? I havent except a corp. card for travel in 4+ years? If I want it I save up, and I save every month via online bank "auto save" option, out of sight, out of mind, like my 401K.
Now on to investigate Roth IRA's!!!
Have a great weekend all, we have baseball!!! :)

Bondo

Staff member

And what I've quoted is also a 'shake my head in disbelief' moment too... We have the same (anti-constitutional???) laws here. How can the constitution say you're innocent till proven guilty and then have the IRS (Tax office in Oz) say that you have to proven your innocence, and if you don't, you're guilty?

Ayuh,... Congrats ezbtr,...

I to went through the BS with the IRS...
They hounded me for Years,... Siezed an account,+ generally made life miserable...
When there was a management change in my accountant's office, I met my new guy...
It all ended when he called the IRS for me, while we were meeting 1 day...
Quite simply, he asked the IRS agent, "Why does Bondo owe you money, he paid the taxes, but just didn't file that year"....
The reply was,... "I donno, we don't have any records going back that far"....
Since that day, I get Refunds, instead of it being kept to pay-off the debt I didn't owe...
'course, they never paid me back all the funds they confiscated either...:rolleyes:

ezbtr

Commander

Ayuh,... Congrats ezbtr,...

I to went through the BS with the IRS...
They hounded me for Years,... Siezed an account,+ generally made life miserable...
When there was a management change in my accountant's office, I met my new guy...
It all ended when he called the IRS for me, while we were meeting 1 day...
Quite simply, he asked the IRS agent, "Why does Bondo owe you money, he paid the taxes, but just didn't file that year"....
The reply was,... "I donno, we don't have any records going back that far"....
Since that day, I get Refunds, instead of it being kept to pay-off the debt I didn't owe...
'course, they never paid me back all the funds they confiscated either...:rolleyes:

yup, crazy...I would get calls from creditors and ask them why they were calling, many times answer would be "Oh,....I don't know, you were on this list", when all was already paid off.
CSS was the worst and in turn got my license suspended w/ no notice - I was in garnishment OVERAGES for 18 months....I got SOME of MY money back w/in a few weeks...

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

and surely my credit cant be perfect but I would assume lots better? Got Child support false accusations off credit (they actually told me how to do it, after profusely apologizing for their mistakes) .....

Wow, I'm surprised that the state of Calif helped you! I've done a lot of payroll in my time and the guys who had Ca. child support were always interesting to handle. First, Ca sends CS documents that claim to have been through a "paperwork reduction" process, yet they are pages and pages long. In most states, the orders are a couple of pages long and simply tell the employer how much to pay per pay cycle (weekly, bi weekly, monthly) I'd hate to see what they sent before that reduction effort!

Next, they just seemed to be more mercenary in their collection efforts than most states. Don't get me wrong, I used to have plenty of guys trying to beat their responsibilities and I had no respect for them, but not every child support case is without question as to its validity. I am aware of one case in Ca (not one of my guys), in which a guy from Oakland fought with the state over a momma & child in LA for years. He had the same name as the baby daddy but he wasn't the same guy. The woman even told the state of Ca that he was the wrong guy and she had never even met him! This poor man had to hire an attorney and fight with the state for years. He finally won and got the money that they had been taking from him back, but it cost him about 30 grand in legal fees!

For those who have CS issues with a state, sometimes an employer can help, if so inclined. I had a guy with a baby momma that he was trying to regain custody of his child from. She was spending his money on drugs and he knew it, because mutual friends witnessed her doing it. He stopped paying and came to work for us shortly thereafter. I ended up having to do the garnishments (employers can get in trouble if they don't), but the state of La had taken his license away for non-payment. I went to bat for him, because I hired him as a truck driver, was paying him as such and didn't have an opening for a non-driving position. I had to fight with the social worker a bit, but eventually told her that I had a legitimate right to let him go if he couldn't drive and she could take her choice, between getting some money while the back money and custody fight played out, or she could get no money after I let him go. She took my deal and released the hold on his license. Some months later, the guy won his custody fight, got his kid back and got the state off his behind.

Anyway, glad to hear that the state of Ca is no longer dunning you and everything has worled out OK.

???

ezbtr

Commander

Wow, I'm surprised that the state of Calif helped you! I've done a lot of payroll in my time and the guys who had Ca. child support were always interesting to handle. First, Ca sends CS documents that claim to have been through a "paperwork reduction" process, yet they are pages and pages long. In most states, the orders are a couple of pages long and simply tell the employer how much to pay per pay cycle (weekly, bi weekly, monthly) I'd hate to see what they sent before that reduction effort!

Next, they just seemed to be more mercenary in their collection efforts than most states. Don't get me wrong, I used to have plenty of guys trying to beat their responsibilities and I had no respect for them, but not every child support case is without question as to its validity. I am aware of one case in Ca (not one of my guys), in which a guy from Oakland fought with the state over a momma & child in LA for years. He had the same name as the baby daddy but he wasn't the same guy. The woman even told the state of Ca that he was the wrong guy and she had never even met him! This poor man had to hire an attorney and fight with the state for years. He finally won and got the money that they had been taking from him back, but it cost him about 30 grand in legal fees!

For those who have CS issues with a state, sometimes an employer can help, if so inclined. I had a guy with a baby momma that he was trying to regain custody of his child from. She was spending his money on drugs and he knew it, because mutual friends witnessed her doing it. He stopped paying and came to work for us shortly thereafter. I ended up having to do the garnishments (employers can get in trouble if they don't), but the state of La had taken his license away for non-payment. I went to bat for him, because I hired him as a truck driver, was paying him as such and didn't have an opening for a non-driving position. I had to fight with the social worker a bit, but eventually told her that I had a legitimate right to let him go if he couldn't drive and she could take her choice, between getting some money while the back money and custody fight played out, or she could get no money after I let him go. She took my deal and released the hold on his license. Some months later, the guy won his custody fight, got his kid back and got the state off his behind.

Anyway, glad to hear that the state of Ca is no longer dunning you and everything has worled out OK.

???

I took me 18-24 mos to get THEM to straighten it out, AFTER they over hauled their whole system, it took me ONE phone call......to a real person...and the party that perjured herself NEVER to this date, has been penalized...
Damn scary..........

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

I wish our daughter and son-in-law would follow your route. We/I have tried to tell them to call all the creditors and make an offer to close the account, but they think they are smarter than we are...so their answer to their problem is really quite simple.
Mom, can we borrow $50-60,000 from you, we'll pay you back in two years. Oh yea, we forgot to mention a couple of things.........first mom I hate my job, so I'm thinking of going back to school and finish my degree, it'll only take 2 years, and her husband has been laid off, but don't worry he'll get another job with no problem. So, after we catch our breath, my wife asks......ahhhh just how long has he been laid off? (expecting a week or so)....and the answer is....just after Christmas.
I almost blew a gasket!!!!!
We are now waiting for them to come back to us with plan b,c,d or e. Because plan "A" ain't in the cards. And of course it will be because of us that they will have to claim bankruptcy, or go to some other means of help.

exbtr. Would you mind giving them a call.....LOL

ezbtr

Commander

I wish our daughter and son-in-law would follow your route. We/I have tried to tell them to call all the creditors and make an offer to close the account, but they think they are smarter than we are...so their answer to their problem is really quite simple.
Mom, can we borrow $50-60,000 from you, we'll pay you back in two years. Oh yea, we forgot to mention a couple of things.........first mom I hate my job, so I'm thinking of going back to school and finish my degree, it'll only take 2 years, and her husband has been laid off, but don't worry he'll get another job with no problem. So, after we catch our breath, my wife asks......ahhhh just how long has he been laid off? (expecting a week or so)....and the answer is....just after Christmas.
I almost blew a gasket!!!!!
We are now waiting for them to come back to us with plan b,c,d or e. Because plan "A" ain't in the cards. And of course it will be because of us that they will have to claim bankruptcy, or go to some other means of help.

exbtr. Would you mind giving them a call.....LOL

Oboy....so they seem to have the answers to everything? Hmmm sound familiar, LOL! :)
Just boils down to NOT ignoring debt, look at interest that you pay(almost made me puke, could get a better loan from the mob), a PLAN, patience, and diligence. Every raise, bonus, extra cash I got went to debt. I hit the smaller accts first to lessen overall bills, went down to ONE bill(psychologically satisfying) and did what I could on the higher rate ones, then paid the higher rate ones in HUGE chunks from what I "saved" paying off the smaller ones.
Now just a few truck payments which have always been steady(and REALLY help credit), and if I get a bonus next month are DONE.
I also told myself and did the math, on what I NOW can save, geez like $500 a month!! towards a house down pymt!

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a dave ramsey type program..And it really works. I took his class and read some books about 2 yrs ago, and really didnt take it serious like I should have..Well fast forward 2 years and more debt and I withing the last 2 months have started doing the steps to become debt free...Just so happens i just got laid off, but I will manage and still try to do what I can to get rid of the debt.

ezbtr

Commander

Sounds like a dave ramsey type program..And it really works. I took his class and read some books about 2 yrs ago, and really didnt take it serious like I should have..Well fast forward 2 years and more debt and I withing the last 2 months have started doing the steps to become debt free...Just so happens i just got laid off, but I will manage and still try to do what I can to get rid of the debt.

never heard of him, I just did lots of research had some good advice, and really focused - the last 2 years. I was laid off twice in the last 6 yrs, briefly, made it tough, but keep plugging away!!

Bondo

Staff member

I just did lots of research had some good advice, and really focused

Ayuh,... That's the Key...

I bought a riverhouse a few years ago,+ blew All my cash makin' the deal,...
Long story short, a few weeks after the closing,.. The place Nextdoor became available....
It's 1 of those, Ya Can't afford Not to buy it deals....
My Banker I'd just closed with declined to run with me on it, just because even though I'd been a credit union member for 20 years, I'd never borrowed from 'em...
'ell the ink on the mortgage hadn't even dried yet...
Anyways,...
I pounded on the door of Every Banker in Jefferson Co. trying to make a deal,...
I ended up at the S&L that I'd left to go to the credit union,... The guy I knew from the 15 years of doin' business there had Retired.... By chance, I found the current Boss was a gal I'd known since she was a teenager,+ I dated her sister a lifetime ago...
She liked my deal,+ ran with it,....
But,... I needed 20 Grand down,... I put it on a credit card, then transfered the balance to a different 1 to grab a 1.99% til paid deal...
I paid it Off in under 2 years, Hammering it with every nickle I could find in the couch...
Now I've doubled my waterfrontage,+ the rent from the neighbor house pays it's own way....
Actually, it pays a slight dividend, enough to double a payment a year or more...
Especially now with a stable, decent tenant...

ezbtr

Commander

and thanks FBPirate95 for the advice!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

ezbtr

Commander

Ayuh,... That's the Key...

I bought a riverhouse a few years ago,+ blew All my cash makin' the deal,...
Long story short, a few weeks after the closing,.. The place Nextdoor became available....
It's 1 of those, Ya Can't afford Not to buy it deals....
My Banker I'd just closed with declined to run with me on it, just because even though I'd been a credit union member for 20 years, I'd never borrowed from 'em...
'ell the ink on the mortgage hadn't even dried yet...
Anyways,...
I pounded on the door of Every Banker in Jefferson Co. trying to make a deal,...
I ended up at the S&L that I'd left to go to the credit union,... The guy I knew from the 15 years of doin' business there had Retired.... By chance, I found the current Boss was a gal I'd known since she was a teenager,+ I dated her sister a lifetime ago...
She liked my deal,+ ran with it,....
But,... I needed 20 Grand down,... I put it on a credit card, then transfered the balance to a different 1 to grab a 1.99% til paid deal...
I paid it Off in under 2 years, Hammering it with every nickle I could find in the couch...
Now I've doubled my waterfrontage,+ the rent from the neighbor house pays it's own way....
Actually, it pays a slight dividend, enough to double a payment a year or more...
Especially now with a stable, decent tenant...

Thats what I am looking for! A nice house to own and live in and a condo or property to rent out - :) But I swear, baby steps are a good thing :) again (and I am BAD at this), PATIENCE and persevering(ok I'm good at that) lol :) pay off!

ezbtr

Commander

Ohhhhhhhhhh and ALSO, what I have heard and AM doing is USING a CC, even with a low credit limit, for SMALL things, AND PAYING IT OFF EVERY month, even though I hope some of the banks rot in hell for their dishonesty - I look at it this way, I will use THEM, at the lowest rate, to help my rating improve.