cd player

KentV

Recruit
I was looking into putting a cd player and speakers into my boat, is there a special type of marine cd player I need to install or can it be a simple car cd player, if so does any suggest a brand and model? Does anyone have suggestions on brands and models of speakers as well?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: cd player

Marine grade cd players are easy to find...West Marine has had a JBL player/speaker package for $99 for the last year. Similar deals can be had right here on iboats.

The true marine units have the electronics weather proofed (sealed), and are the best choice in salt-water conditions. Many boaters use a car unit for fresh water use, and are resolved to replacing somewhere down the road. Marine speakers are the only correct choice regardless of where they get used, since they are designed to handle any moisture issues.

In short, since the marine units can be had for so little, it doesn't (in my opinion) make any sense to do otherwise. With a little shopping around, you can find one that accepts an ipod...that eliminates the skipping that a CD will encounter while cruising.

Happy boating!

Jeep Man

Commander

Welcome to the forum Kent. Your speakers definitely need to be marine grade. Depending where your deck is mounted, you can get away with an auto unit if there is no chance of getting wet. But why take the chance. Marine grade decks are virtually the same price and there are quality brands available. Sony make several units, as well as Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think Overtons.com has a sale going on right now with their stereo packages.

Erk469

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a very nice 200 watt 2 speaker radio with cd player, mp3 player, usb jack and a place to plug in my xm radio. I bought it a my local West Marine for 99 bucks. You and also check crutchfield.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

wouldn't any ou door type speaker also work?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

wouldn't any ou door type speaker also work?

If they are sold as 'outdoor', then they should be fine. It is the paper cones of a standard speaker that don't fare well in a wet environment.