Cover caved in!

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Went to take a look at her today and my cover has caved in partially. Only hope now is to get the snow off and try to repair. Winter's not over yet.:eek:

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cover caved in!

Mine's in my driveway so I can run out even in the middle of snow storm and knock some snow off to prevent any collapses.....(which I have done)....this winter business is getting old.

Another month until winter flounder season!....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Don't worry RWilson, my new snowblower just got delivered on Wednesday. You won't have to worry about it snowing again in the mid-atlantic region for at least the rest of the season :p

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sent mine in for a new custom cover in November. they got busy and haven't done it yet, meanwhile I get free indoor storage so far this year. they can take till Easter if they want to.

Jeep Man

Commander

I made up a winter cover using PVC pipe for a frame and a standard tarp. The trick is to put a good slope on it so the snow will slide off. Mine is over 2 hours North so it is unattended all winter.

mphy98

Lieutenant

I use 2 canvas covers and a 2x4 frame in front and back. never had a problem with that and we have had a lot of snow the last couple of years!!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I built a frame to support the canvas cover I use on my 88 FW in winter....it's made from some wood...PVC and fiberglass cross braces made for cover support...

Attachments

• 3-2009, 4-2009 025a.jpg
    3-2009, 4-2009 025a.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

put a tarp over boat cover. after a snow event, just drag the tarp off, shake it off and replace it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Frame is the way to go. What you make it from depends on what is available. Just nothing sharp !!
My 2 cents.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Airdvr, can you remind us what your setup is. Don't want to make you feel bad but the rest of us can learn from instances like this. How much snow you figure did it take to cave it in. What were the conditions like - heavy snow, extra windy, etc?

When I finally get around to deciding on how to deal with my boat (paying someone else for storage is getting old...and expensive...) I'm going to have to leave it on its own for at least four months at the end of a snowed in road. No checking possible unless I borrow a sled and go up for a peek. Knowing what works and what creates issues will be real helpful.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I'm constantly worried about mine..... it just has the camper enclosure right now as I am working on it daily and need to move around inside. i haven't decided how to do the storage cover yet. Thought about going over the radar arch so snow would slide off but would be alot more drag towing that way.... in the end I may just go with shrink wrap as much as I hate too....

Sorry to hear of your misfortune and I hope it is an easy fix for ya

the_mayor

Cadet

I'm constantly worried about mine..... it just has the camper enclosure right now as I am working on it daily and need to move around inside. i haven't decided how to do the storage cover yet. Thought about going over the radar arch so snow would slide off but would be alot more drag towing that way.... in the end I may just go with shrink wrap as much as I hate too....

Sorry to hear of your misfortune and I hope it is an easy fix for ya

Out of curiosity, why don't you like shrink wrap? When I do mine every year (31' Wellcraft suncruiser) I put 10' tall supports in the boat, wrap it, and put a zipper at the stern. I can go on the boat any time I want and work all day out of the weather.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

because of the cost impact on the environment and difficulty in getting the boat out for that rogue warm week in february but covered back up for the march blizzard...... also it is inconvenient to me to take it to someone to be put on instead of doing it myself

ziggy

Admiral

i don't do shrink wrap because i'd be concerned about condensation + ya gotta buy it every year. a cover ya do once every 5 or so..
i do scrape the snow drifts off my rig all winter... at least this winter...

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I was dumb and figured my double tent pole mooring cover would do just fine. It probably would have if I'd been diligent enough to visit her after every storm. Looks as if it got heavy enough to pop the snaps aft but it's hard to say for sure because of the amount of snow. And, I can't get out there until Tues to work on it. Live and learn but I'll bet many around here will have a similar problem.

Record snowfalls here in Ohio this year. I'd estimate there is 12-15 inches on top of the cover.

Last edited:

the_mayor

Cadet

i don't do shrink wrap because i'd be concerned about condensation + ya gotta buy it every year. a cover ya do once every 5 or so..
i do scrape the snow drifts off my rig all winter... at least this winter...

Condensation is deffinately a concern. What I do is make sure I shrink the boat when it's dry. I also put a few vents in. Been shrinking mine for the last 8-10 years. No mold issues yet.

I have a friend with a 35' Carver fly bridge. They have used the same shrink wrap for the past 6 years! They have a cut in the bow section, and one at the stern. In the spring they pull it off and fold it up. In the fall, they put it back on and tape the cuts with shrink tape. Pretty impressive I thought.

the_mayor

Cadet

I was dumb and figured my double tent pole mooring cover would do just fine. It probably would have if I'd been diligent enough to visit her after every storm. Looks as if it got heavy enough to pop the snaps aft but it's hard to say for sure because of the amount of snow. And, I can't get out there until Tues to work on it. Live and learn but I'll bet many around here will have a similar problem.

Record snowfalls here in Ohio this year. I'd estimate there is 12-15 inches on top of the cover.

I did the same thing with my first boat. By the time I was able to get the water and ice off the cover, I noticed water had gotten into the engine through the hole on the top of the spark arrestor. To my horror, I realized the motor was full to the top of the carb with water/ice! I thought it was toast but after draining the block and replacing the butterflys on the carb (pushed up from the freeze) I was able to get it running again with no dammage. Had that boat and motor for another 2 years before selling it. 5 years later, the new owner replaced the motor because it had over 1700hrs on it.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

To my horror, I realized the motor was full to the top of the carb with water/ice!

Oh joy...something else to worry about until Tues :(