Bad rust/rot

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trailer for sale with 16' duranautic wondering if its structually sound. has some see through rust etc. new axle.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bad rust/rot

Poke it all over the place with a sharp metal object.

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im not buying just the trailer. if i could part the package i would but i cant..

Bondo

Staff member

Im not buying just the trailer. if i could part the package i would but i cant..

Ayuh,... Steel is bringing a few cents a pound, Scrap... I don't you're gonna Make anything...

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Do you really mean rust holes in the trailer ???
If so I would forget it. You may not get home with it !!!:eek:

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

guys out of his mind. wants 2850 for a boat(ok shape) trailer(scrap metal) and 1997 johnson(damaged skeg and propeller)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

guys out of his mind. wants 2850 for a boat(ok shape) trailer(scrap metal) and 1997 johnson(damaged skeg and propeller)

Does not seem a good deal by any means by the sounds of it. You may have to put more than it's worth into it before you start.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

don't forget a couple hundred for the guy with the roll back to bring it to ya....:p

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Skeg wasnt bad, easy fix...prop was chewed, could use a new one.refurbished/used ones here in NJ on craigs are about 40-50$ not bad..its just im paying this money for the boat, and im already dumping more into it.trailer was a concern to me, as i live 40 miles away and will often trailer boat. cant take risks etc.. have a look at the pictures

Attachments

• boartss.jpg
    boartss.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • haha.jpg
    haha.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ahahahha.jpg
    ahahahha.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boats arent called Break Out Another Thousand for a reason. If it were me unless he lowers his price or thats one hell of a running engine id shy away. I dont know much about skegs and i dunno if thats fixable without a lower unit replacement or good welding.

As far as the trailer thats pretty scary may want to get another one and see if the guy u want to buy it from will launch it in a lake and u can retreive it onto another trailer, id be afraid to two that.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

That prop is junk, not usable, but props are pretty cheap anyways. Trailer is also junk. Trailers however are not cheap. I would not trust that trailer for a mile.

I also think the price is high..2850 for that? There must be better deals around this time of year. I'd say 1400-1600 if it's a good running motor but looking at the condition of the boat and trailer..what makes you think the owner took good care of the motor?

You're looking at another grand for a good trailer and a new prop..add that to what you are going to offer him.

Edit: Looking closely at the skeg and prop I'd say he drove it onto a pile of rocks! I'd want to water test to make sure the drive shaft is not bent. That would be an expensive repair:eek:

Cheers~!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

its just im paying this money for the boat, and im already dumping more into it.

Get used to paying money out constantly for your boating pleasure.:eek:
Personally I would not touch that outfit with a ten foot pole !!! You can do much better for a lot less money in my humble opinion.

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes i agree with all of you. just wanted to make sure.. price wasnt bad on craigs...until i got there! never told me about this stuff. the prop shaft isnt bent, was replaced along with all the gears inside. spent 1200$ in july. cant guarentee tho that he didnt hit anything else. seems like a bad driver eh...and skeg can be fix with good weld job or a skeg protector. prop was ****, chewed and all. so i offered him 2000,(still high im thinkin) and he goes noo wayyyy. i can only do 2600 no less. i go well you got my number... :) keeep on loooking...

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Oh Yes !!!!!!!
Keep on looking right past that deal.
How do you know the lower unit was rebuilt ??? did he have receipts ???

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes had all paper work otherwise i would not have believed him. Had it rebuilt new everything in the lower unit...also water pump done. 1200$..think its because of this he wouldnt budge on price..

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

They won't tell you about the bad stuff on Craig's list. Then no one would show up to look!

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

i did when i sold my boat. i was on honest. dont like to waste my time and theirs

cribber

Lieutenant

For nearly $3000 I'd find something in a little better shape. That skeg looks like it's been busted more than once so you gotta wonder about the lower leg gears and seals. Also the rust thru on the trailer at critical weight points with the back cross member looks one good bump away from dragging the pavement.