Propeller "free wheels". Normal?

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I noticed on my 7.5 Merc that when in forward gear the prop will "free wheel" but in reverse it does not. Is this normal? I assume it is to reduce drag when you let off the throttle? I have a Johnson 4.5 that does not do it.

Thanks,
HD

gss036

Commander
Re: Propeller "free wheels". Normal?

I would suspect a spun hub if it has one or sheared key.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

With the engine turned OFF, shifted into Forward gear, you should be able to turn the prop CW and feel/hear the engagement dogs 'ratchet' as they cam over from one notch to the next. If you attempt to turn the prop CCW then the engagement dogs positively LOCK and you can turn the motor over backwards.

Reverse engagement dogs are straight cut and positively lock both directions.

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the engine turned OFF, shifted into Forward gear, you should be able to turn the prop CW and feel/hear the engagement dogs 'ratchet' as they cam over from one notch to the next. If you attempt to turn the prop CCW then the engagement dogs positively LOCK and you can turn the motor over backwards.

Reverse engagement dogs are straight cut and positively lock both directions.

Thanks!

That's exactly what it does. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Cheers,
HD

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

And the reason for the "slip clutch" in F is so that the propeller can turn faster than the engine without throwing you through the windshield.....when decelerating, this is the case and something had to be done to make it a seamless process.

In R, you usually don't go very fast and a locked up prop is not a problem, so there is no clutch.

Mark

mke039

Seaman

I was about to post the same question, but found it answered here. Thanks.