7.5 HP sea king OB

ladyrebel

Recruit
I recently bought an old fishing boat with a Sea king 7.5 HP on it and in trying to find out if it can be serviced and checked out the locals indicate it is too hard to get parts and don't want to work on them? One dealer told me to check it out and if the compression is good and all, I am looking at about $150 maybe +/-?

It is a model VWP52179E Serial # 48x23153

I started it up and it runs in a bucket of water. There was some oil though in the water and it was smoking a bit when it ran like black or blue but seemed to clear up in a bit?

My question is did I maybe get taken here and should not throw any more money into this motor? I don't know if it is any good or not? The boat hasn;t been out yet in the lake.

How do I know if it reliable or not? Are parts avialable for it?

Is it worth putting any money into an old OB like this? :confused:

I need some wise advice here from you men.

Thanks!

ladyrebel:

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 7.5 HP sea king OB

Welcome to Iboats.

As a generic answer I would say the oil you are seeing is unburned exhaust which is common. It may be the motor needs to be decarbed the ignition is week or it may be that was the way it was designed. The motor is from 1984 and was built by Chrysler. If it were me I would mix some gas toss some oars in the boat and take it out and stay near the landing till you start feeling comfortable. As far as parts go you will still be able to find seals, impellers, spark plugs but finding valves, rings gears, driveshafts are going to be tough. The most important part is to make sure there is oil in the lower unit. Probably drain that and refill then let her rip. If the maiden voyage goes well and you start gaining trust in the motor you can later work on things like rebuild fuel pumps, carbs and things like that. A clymer manual should work on that motor as a 7.5 hp Chrysler.

ladyrebel

Recruit

Thanks for a good generic answer. Good advice sir.

I found a older gentlemen who can take a look at it for me who is retired and has exoerience on older motors. Young folks won't even touch it? Scardy cats! If it is hard don't even try?

Shameful!

Cheers!:)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Liability is a big problem. Most mechanics are trained on newer motors and don't want to hassle with trying to find outdated parts. Good you found someone. My Dad ran that motor for ever and never had any trouble with is so hopefully you have the same luck with yours.