Converting a Cockpit to a Salon

tsha222

Cadet
I have been lurking here for a while, soaking in all the good info. I want to describe my boat project then I'll ask my question. Sorry for the long post and at this time, I don't have any pics but I'll edit this thread to add pics and keep everyone updated on the progress.

I have a 28' Carver Santa Cruz with a three-axle trailer. I'm not 100% sure of the year but the last owner told me it was a 1977 model. I actually have two - one purchased in 2008 - $11,000 with the trailer. It was ready for the water except for the cosmetics and we used it the first season without doing much to it. It has twin Volvo Penta diesels, marine genset (exceptionally LOUD), marine air conditioning in cabin, all original interiors. We have been moving slowly on the refurb. Good thing is we are in a fair climate so we have a good 5 - 6 months to use this (Pensacola, Florida). Since it's trailered and we have a capable truck, we haul her to the marina when we want to use it and we can keep it at the house to work on it. Surprisingly, the boat launches and trailers like a much smaller boat. We had all the cabin cushions recovered and are working in the interior now. The other boat I have was actually given to me to haul away. I scavenged it for all the useful stuff - sinks, hot water heater (still working), flybridge windshield, other misc. We took the cockpit floor from both and split them down the middle then glassed the seams so we have an access hatch now over each of the engines and two additional hatches that allow us access to the generator, the batteries and the tanks. We can pull everything up while on the water to work on things - scary thought, but we have done it more than once.

Here is my question, finally, huh? I don't fish. I know this is a fishing boat but my thing is more about being on the water and enjoying some nice music, good grilled food and just being there. I would love to be able to enclose the cockpit. I want to convert it into a proper salon to offer more "living space" during the heat of the day and for extended stays aboard. Has anyone done anything similar? I did some searches here and haven't found anything specific. Requirements:

1) Lightweight to keep it trailerable. (the cockpit is roughly 10' X 10')
2) Insulated to keep cool air in (not zipped enclosure)
3) Obviously a hardtop - I'd like to install lighting and put in TV and speakers.
4) This is the kicker.... The cockpit currently is a really nice sun spot and I don't want to lose that. I would love to make the hardtop strong enough to serve as an upper sundeck. I have done the measuring and designed some railings that will fold down for towing, this will keep the enclosure shorter than the tallest point on the flybridge.

I realize that this is strange to some, but I really don't fish and have no desire to take the boat into the Gulf. I like the calm anchorages and I would love to make a trip to the Keys. I have drawn out some plans and found some material for the walls that is very lightweight. Without the sundeck part, I am confident that this can be done. What I am not sure of is making the roof strong enough to serve as a sundeck. I would like it to handle 600 pounds. Usually it will just be myself, my wife and our son but what's the use in having a boat if you can't have friends aboard? So am I asking for too much? Is this a case where I CAN have my cake and eat it too? Thanks and I look forward to hearing from some of you folks. As promised, I will post some pics in the next couple of days so you can see where we are and hopefully follow our progress.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Converting a Cockpit to a Salon

I'm sure it could be done, not sure exactly how but it is doable. At Lake powell where I boat a lot there are tons of houseboats(I have a time share in one) and they are basically a 50' mobilehome on a plontoon deck, with a couple of 70 horse outboards to chug you along. The reason I posted is that the cabin area looks real lightweight(like a mobilehome) but the roof is where you hang out alot of the time to take in the sun or sleep when its 95* at night. I have seen 20 people on the roofs of houseboats with no issues. Ours has kind of a white rubberized coating on it that is obviuosly waterproof and easy to maintain. Again I don't know exactly how the roof section is constructed but it sure doesnt appear to be all that thick and bulky. The width of cabin on ours is 10-12 feet of clear span. Good luck this may not be any help at all but it seems like if you could attach the livingroom section of our houseboat to yours it would be exactly what you are trying to do.

tsha222

Cadet

Well just send me the living room section of your boat!! :D I know it can be done, too. Houseboats are exactly where I have looked at to see what I can learn about how the roof structures are done. We have a basic idea and my dad is one of those people who you can't say "it can't be done". In 2002, he bought a 1962 Cesna 162. It was a shambles. They took it apart (disconnected the wings and all) and hauled the thing to dad's house where they rebuilt the entire thing. After a year, they were flying (still would be if Hurricane Ivan hadn't crumpled the plane like a tin can - and it wasn't insured yet because it waiting to be annualled.

Anyway - when I told my dad what I wanted to do, he said "No problem" so I guess we'll see! Thanks for the reply and I'll keep my thread updated with my progress.

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not an expert; but my first thought was metal studs (like used in commercial construction) and foam core walls.

Good Luck.

tsha222

Cadet

My pop mentioned foam core for the walls this evening and we have a pile of metal studs. We were looking at it really good tonight, measuring up and everything. I know we can't make it look factory but can keep if from looking like a cab-over camper sitting in the cockpit. Thanks for the feedback guys.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It can be done I would think abut leaving some kind of side deck though or it will be a royal pita to dock.

erikgreen

Captain

I'm sure this can be done. Definitely post pics so we can watch and comment :)

Erik

tsha222

Cadet

Will do on the pics. And for docking, we are leaving an adequate walk around (about 10") which should be fine as long as there are hand holds available. We are taking out the ladder to the flybridge and adding a ladder at the back of the boat to the sundeck with will be a couple of steps up from the flybridge. I'll work on uploading some pics of the boat as it sits and some rudimentary drawings of what I want to do.

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would look into aluminum for the framing w/foam insulation. Check out the construction of new RVs. Ours is aluminum walls and roof framing.

Are you looking for something like this but with the soft side being hard?
2194-classic-chris-craft-connie-connie-docked.jpg

Oilguy

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with looking in to RV construction... I just finish rebuilding an RV Including the entire ceiling and roof >> I is very sturdy now!
RV's are designed to be light weight and strong >> And you will find a roofing material that will suit your needs >> Like TPO, EPDM, or there are a couple of others that are out there also.

tsha222

Cadet

I would look into aluminum for the framing w/foam insulation. Check out the construction of new RVs. Ours is aluminum walls and roof framing.

Are you looking for something like this but with the soft side being hard?
2194-classic-chris-craft-connie-connie-docked.jpg

That is EXACTLY what I am talking about. The only difference would be that I want some railing along the roof and maybe a little less "curve".

tsha222

Cadet

I agree with looking in to RV construction... I just finish rebuilding an RV Including the entire ceiling and roof >> I is very sturdy now!
RV's are designed to be light weight and strong >> And you will find a roofing material that will suit your needs >> Like TPO, EPDM, or there are a couple of others that are out there also.

Do you have any sources for the material you used in your RV rebuild? Thanks!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

fiberglass will easily do that job....they make yachts out of it.

check out mark 42's project hard top,,,just hit search.

if you glass it youll need to make an i beam underside....the exact reverse of a stringer. but glass will easily hold twice that weight.

tsha222

Cadet

fiberglass will easily do that job....they make yachts out of it.

check out mark 42's project hard top,,,just hit search.

if you glass it youll need to make an i beam underside....the exact reverse of a stringer. but glass will easily hold twice that weight.

The good news is that my dad was a Mercury dealer for 20 years and even built little fishing boats for a while so he knows how to work glass. I love that smell, too! Since the marine industry fed my family, it smells just like money to us. :D I'll search that project out. Thanks.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the hull extension thread also has all the detailed info you will need on glassing.

what you want to do can easilly be done

tsha222

Cadet

Thanks for the encouragement, which is always welcome and for the reassurance that I'm not nuts for wanting to do this to a 28' boat. We have a chop gun for the glass work. We were already planning to fix some cracks in the surface - luckily the hull is in great shape with new bottom paint 4 years ago.

tsha222

Cadet

Hi folks. I'm so appreciative of all your responses and I just wanted to write a quick note to appologize for not uploading any pictures yet. I have been SUFFERING with a mondo kidney stone and have really put the boat on the back burner for few weeks. Also, my "business partner", i.e. my dad, and I are looking at a Silverton 34' that is in perfect running order but needs some serious attention to the exterior and interior so we are struggling the urge to pick up a second project boat ;-) I will update soon, I promise. Thanks again for all the feedback. I have another question but will reserve it for a new thread since it is not related to my enclosed cockpit question. Happy boating.