water comes in scups

JFLProline

Recruit
Hi All
I am a new member and I have had my 1990 Proline 230 for two years. I have a 1993 saltwater series Mariner 200 HP on a gill bracket.
Since I had her, some water comes in through the scups and when I tilt the engine up when not in use it does not quite make it out of the water.
Can someone tell me if its too much motor? Or might it be another problem like too long of a shaft?

thanks
Jim

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: water comes in scups

Hi- I owneed a 1985 21'-er with a 175 on a bracket. Mine did the same. I blame it on the bracket. Moving that heavy motor a couple feet out from the transom drags the transom down.

Philster

Captain

Yep. The bracket is a nice lever, which is making the weight of the motor have more force on the transom.

Fifth grade physics. :p

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

99% of all scupper boats get water thru the scuppers, it is from the wave action against the scuppers, and too much load in the stern.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

All the brackets I'm familiar with have the same problem of not getting the foot completely out of the water because of location of the motor mount and the max. trim angle of the T&T assembly. I've seen one or two use jack plates to remedy the problem.

When was the last time you drained and cleaned the bracket? I've seen complaints about the same problem that turned out to be a water logged bracket.

FWIW: A bracket is a positive displacement apparatus. 5th grade physics lessons don?t apply here. ;)

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to the iBoats! You will learn great things here.