Big end cap bolts ?

Speedwell69

Cadet
I?m in the process of stripping down my 1985 Mercury 60hp and am struggling to find something that fits the cap bolts. I?m trying to locate a ? inch AF 12 point deep reach socket. Anyone else struggled to find something to fit these bolts ? Does anyone know if they are actually ? inch AF ?

Thanks

Michael

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Big end cap bolts ?

I?m in the process of stripping down my 1985 Mercury 60hp and am struggling to find something that fits the cap bolts. I?m trying to locate a ? inch AF 12 point deep reach socket. Anyone else struggled to find something to fit these bolts ? Does anyone know if they are actually ? inch AF ?

Thanks

Michael

They're 5/16 12pt. Use a 3/8 drive narrowed SAE socket. If you've rounded off the heads already you'll need to resort to vice grips. It doesn't really matter if you damage them, they are not reusable. Let me qualify that. Those of use who value our engines don't re-use rod bolts...ever...

If they're really stuck then hit them with a MAP Gas torch and heat them up. That will melt the loctite and they should give up.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The bolts are 1/4 inch 12 point on the small inline engines, I use a 3/8 drive semi-deep well from from Matco. Any of the tool trucks should have one(Snap-on/Cornwell/Matco) or a S&K from a auto store will work...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I had the same issue on my inline 6. I ended up buying a box wrench, and grinding the wall of the wrench a bit to get the clearance.

Don't reuse the bolts. I thru a rod, when the reused bolts failed.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The bolts are 1/4 inch 12 point on the small inline engines, I use a 3/8 drive semi-deep well from from Matco. Any of the tool trucks should have one(Snap-on/Cornwell/Matco) or a S&K from a auto store will work...

Dang'd you're right.. My inline was 1/4"...