Outboard Bowrider Bilge pump Installation

firstboatguy

Cadet
First time to this forum and boating in general. I've purchased a 1991 Bayliner Capri 1800 with Force 90 outboard. I've leased a dock slip at a local lake and I'm trying to prepare the boat being in the water for the season. As instructed by the marina Manager I've purchased a Bilge Pump for the boat. With the recent 18" of snow we have received I can't get into the boat. Can anyone tell me where exactly the bilge pump goes in this boat. I have read in other forums on Iboats that the bilge pump is mounted under the I/O motor. Since I have an outboard I'm not sure where it should be installed. Also, do I need to run the 3-way switch to the console or can I mount it elsewhere. Thanks for all your help.

firstboatguy

Cadet
Re: Outboard Bowrider Bilge pump Installation

That is the million dollar question. The boat has seats on either side of the splash well so I will try to gain access from under one of the seats. I will attempt to get it almost to the bilge drain plug.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

be sure you have a float switch as well and it is not obstructed--I prefere the ones in its own plastic box. Have this hooked up directly to the battery (with a line fuse) so it will work even if your battery is off.

NYBo

Admiral

In my boat, it's in the bilge between the gas tank and the transom.

firstboatguy

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Anyone have an opinion about the 3way switch location? I would think you would want to see the pump while using the "ON" function of the switch.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

not really. most boats have the switch on the dash; you know it's working when water shoots out the side of the boat. Some switches have a red light so you know when it's on--or left on by accident--or when the float activates unexpectedly b/c you forgot the plug.
With a float switch you seldom need to turn on the manual.
I assume you want a 3 way for auto/off/manual? Why not a 2 way for auto/manual (on)?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You don't need to "see" the pump but you do need to know it is ON. The switch can go anywhere you like. The console is the obvious location since that is where you are.

firstboatguy

Cadet

Thanks for the helpful information. The switch is going on the dash.

Home Cookin' - My mechanic, showing me the ropes, told me that having the off position gives the ability to easily service the pump and get it right back into service.