Buying a used boat...Dealer vs. private party

jsonnebe

Cadet
Hello,

First of all let me thank you for a great forum filled with such friendly, knowledgeable people.

I am looking to buy my first boat. My budget is very limited. I am searching Craigslist and have found some interesting offers. I also came across two old boats being sold by a dealer.

I realize anything I can afford will more than likely have problems. I also know that without the money for a survey I am buying at my own risk. What I do not know is the atmosphere surrounding boat dealers.

If a used boat dealer says a floor is solid is that the same as a used car person saying it was only driven by a little old lady to church on the weekends? Would you trust a dealer more than a private party sale? How much can you haggle with a dealer vs. a private sale?

Any help would be appreciated. I only live 2 blocks from Lake Saint Clair and if I don't get on the water this year for some fishing and some fun I just might go crazy!

Thanks again!

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Buying a used boat...Dealer vs. private party

Welcome to iboats jsonnebe, best boating site on the net:)

If a dealer told me that a used boats deck is solid I would still follow due diligence and thoroughly inspect it prior to purchase. The same applies if buying from a private party in my opinion.

Are you looking for aluminum or 'glass? I keep an eye on the michigan listings myself since I'm looking for a kicker bracket and a used Minn Kota bow-mount.

Plenty of nice old rigs available. I lucked out on my 16' SS last November($1000 w/ trailer and 80hp Merc) and I'm very happy with the purchase, so I'm sure you will find a good deal out there somewhere.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I think your best bang for the buck would be private, reason why is the dealer has a margin to meet, and due to the economy there are people trying to flip thier toys to pay the bills, as was said, keep your eyes on CL.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

remember this always...a dealer sells boats to make money...he doesnt do it to clean out his garage or make his wife happy...or to be friends.

that said he is in buisness and has some legal responsibility that a private sale might not.

other wise...I think the best deal you can find...will be a private sale..

either because the economy is bad and the owner cant afgford it or needs cash to pay other bills.

or he needs to get rid of somethign that doesnt want in his life any more.

the absolute best deals are found my knowledgable boat people and bought from people who just want the boat gone...and care about little else...

they might not know the value or they dont even care..

some boats went away to teh back yard because of a non running status...

other went away running perfect, but for what ever reason , stopped getting used.

if you are not mechainically inclined and or a REAL outboard motor newbie... a dealer could save you in the long run... with some kind of warranty...

and his reputaton( if he has a good one)

if you can read a little and have time and patience....

you could check out any future boat with the IBoats forums...

there are stickys to help the used boat buyer..

good luck

bob

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

some used dealers will give you a short warranty--just enough for a trial period. They also might know more about the boat amd its repair history, and be able to fix those "as is" things you are otherwise willing to accept. That dealer might also be a good resource for future repairs especially if you giv ehim some business up front--tune up, water pump replacement, carbsm, etc. or buy equipment (life preservers, etc) from him.
A liar is a liar whether a dealer or a private seller. Likewise a person who doesn't know what he's talking about. I believe in gut feeling about the seller as an important criterion.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Never been impressed by a used car or boat dealer. Although they want to make sales, they are not motivated like a private seller who just wants the thing gone. Believe boat consignment sales commissions are usually 10 %. Also, dont know how much you want to spend, dealer is required to charge full sales tax. Private sales are taxed a bit different. I always give a few receipts reflecting the true sale price, ( whatever the buyer want to declare ). If its real low, I put on the receipt things like, as is, buyer aware of hole in boat or rod sticking out of motor. How many time can they tax a boat anyway? FRED

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In order of preference...

Best... Private sale from known person

private sale from unknown or sale from known dealer (tie)

sale from unknown dealer

worst... consignment from unknown dealer

If the dealer has a warantee, then they go to the top of the list both trust and cost wise.

I found my boat by driving around a lake in the area (Newago, Michigan area, in my case) - private individual. My previous boat was purchased on consignment thru a dealer who was selling it for a guy who bought a boat from him. Bad mistake, compounded by my ignorance. The only thing going for it was the price ($1000). I survived a year with it and then passed it off on someone else. My strongest recomendation is to check it over very carefully. As a minimum, see it run, check the lower unit, inspect the hull very carefully. Better yet, try it on the water, especially if it is a fiberglass boat. See why the individual is selling it. Make sure it makes sense. Get a friend to look it over. Do not fall in love with a boat just to get something bought.

Check Craigslist. In the local paper, we also have cheap item adds (under $1000 price).

TerryMSU

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the price was right, I would buy from a reputable dealer before anyone else. They have a reputation to uphold, and, in today's Internet world, a reputation can be tarnished easily and by anyone with a few well placed reviews. If the boat is not as advertised, you also have a solvent party you can find and go after. I would still get the boat surveyed by a third party though before putting any meaningful amount of money into any used boat.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

When I asked about testing the motor/drive on a used boat, the dealer
salesman told me they would start up the motor for a couple seconds just
to show that it starts, and that was all. They won't guarantee the motor and
drive unit beyond that because guys take the boats out and push them
beyond what they should.

So, I have bought used from private owners, all the same.

As far as the floor goes, a floor can be good, but if you get 250 pounds
jumping up and down on it, well, shows how a test can become abusive.

I guess the same concept applies to a new owner taking a boat out and
running it too hard for too long. Maybe the dealers are right.

Ain't no perfection anywhere, except for when cruising in the boat.
Good luck!
:rolleyes:

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think you can get the "best" deal from a private party. But you have to know what you are looking at. NEVER "trust" what is being said about the boat. Look at it for your self. If you don't know that much about a boat then take a friend that does. Or take it to some shop and have it checked out. It might cost you a little $$$$ to do that but it just might save you some in the long run. And NEVER buy one without test driving it. Big mistake!!!! Well thats my $.02 for what it is worth.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In order of preference...

Best... Private sale from known person

private sale from unknown or sale from known dealer (tie)

sale from unknown dealer

worst... consignment from unknown dealer

I have to disagree on this one. If you want to stay friends never buy a big ticket item from a friend.

Jeep Man

Commander

You have to give both a look. My first pontoon was private and turned out to be a bad deal. My second was through a dealer. The boat had damage and was an insurance deal. That dealer has been great to deal with for parts and even more so, information. Honesty and reputation is everything.

scipper77

Commander

My take on this is that if you are buying new or close to new go with a dealer who will have to back up what he sells you. There just are not many private sellers who are selling there next to new boat for no reason.

If you are looking for something older the the best deals are allways those where there is some known issue that you can fix yourself. Not to be confused with people who claim that there problems are an easy fix but for some reason don't fix them themselves.

My boat had some starting issues but had good compression. After a new distributer, battery, points/condenser, and setting the timing and dwell it starts and runs like a champ. Now I have a nice 17' Chris craft for $1800 that runs well, and hits 50 MPH (well just once to see how fast it can go).

Of course we all know you will never find a "deal" at a dealer. They know what there stuff is worth.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

everything is dynamic.

a super large long time dealer maybe the only dealer for miles and he is doing great business because he is a perfect location, reguardless if he is a crook or not..

some people have more money than brains and you take a rich part of the country on the shorline and the rich just keep feeding a guy business not knowing what everyone else has gone through..

now days on the ct shore you would not believe what it would cost to open a new boat dealership on shore!!!! insane

so the guy that got the business from his dad and is a complete rip off artist is doing great!! because of no competition and location.

I also agree that buying a big ticket item from a friend is a big rish for the friendship..like borrowing money....dont so it.

I would walk away from any DEALER that has a used boat but wont let you test drive it....

plus a used late late model boat is a great deal...because if you think a car depreciates the minute you drive it off the lot, you know a boat is way worse!!!

bob

jsonnebe

Cadet

Thanks all for the great advice and discussion. Most seem to suggest a test drive. Dumb question: How do you test drive a boat in February in Michigan? If you wait till open water don't you run the risk of paying the spring prices everyone threatens in their ad...(if it don't sell now I will charge $500 more in spring...etc...)

What is a fair price for someone to inspect a boat under $1000 and where do you find such a service?

scipper77

Commander

Thanks all for the great advice and discussion. Most seem to suggest a test drive. Dumb question: How do you test drive a boat in February in Michigan? If you wait till open water don't you run the risk of paying the spring prices everyone threatens in their ad...(if it don't sell now I will charge $500 more in spring...etc...)

What is a fair price for someone to inspect a boat under $1000 and where do you find such a service?

you can test most of the important stuff on muffs if you have too. just make sure the compression is good. you might find out you got taken when you get it out on the water but hopefully anything you can't check on the muffs is repairable. The things to look for on the water only include how well the boat planes, will the motor hit max rpm's with no issues, are you taking on any water, ... Taking on water through the transom is a big issue.

Anyone want to help me out with other things you need to be on the water to check???

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Dealer = more expensive with more responsibility.
Private = cheaper but look out.
Both can lie to you !!!

CAUGHTACASE73

Recruit

With a limited budget I would suggest buying private party to get the most bang for your buck. Whether a dealer or private party I would suggest having a mechanic of your choosing check the boat.

I was in the same situation as you. I live in Minnesota and wanted to buy a boat off season. I think you can save up to 25% on seasonal items in Minnesota because our seasons are so drastic. I feel that having cash in hand at the time of negotiating also gives you a lot of leverage. I had been searching online listings since the previous summer through the winter to get an idea of the values on boats in my area. I think I might have developed an addition to the classifieds.

I just purchased my first boat 3 weeks ago from a private party (actually went ice fishing the same afternoon). Part of the deal I made was for a 7 day grace period to have my mechanic check what he could with out getting the boat wet. He checked compression, spark, lower unit lubes (looking for water), he even pulled the gears to check for pitting and wear. I checked to make sure the pumps worked, lights/electronics worked, and of course walked all over the floors to look for soft spots. Check the trailer/tires for wear and make sure all the lights work. Many small issues can be easily fixed on your own but help with negotiating.

Once my mechanic gave me the thumbs up I made an appointment with him in the spring to have the carbs checked, water pump replaced, and a general tune up. Then I know the basics are covered before I even put it in the water.

Its almost painful to walk out to my garage every morning and see my new boat that I can't use for another 2 months.

Good luck.

P.S. Thanks to everyone on this site. Great information.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Keep in mind there are two types of dealers, both honest: the one who stands by what he sells, and therefore only takes in quality. He'll know something about the boat's history. He'll let you test drive and will give you a warranty. Some might charge a modest fee to accompany you on the test drive, for the reasons stated above; that fee might be waived if you buy it. A dealer here will take you out and show you how it works-it's a top of the line dealer.

The other dealer is the pure "as is" dealer. He isn't taking any chances by suggesting anything about the boat, nor is he risking his time and his inventory with sea trials. He may pick up these boats at auction and know nothing more himself than what you get from a start-and-shut-off trial.

The difference is not honesty or integrity--it is reflected in the price. Lower price, greater risk, and opportunity for a great deal--or a submarine. So I don't fault the pure "as is--buyer beware" dealer as long as it's clear that's where he's coming from.

Of course, the purchase price drives a lot of this--the dealer will invest more time/risk in sea trials, warranties, etc. on a boat selling for $20,000 but not on one for $2,000.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have a few thoughts on this. Even if I was in the market, I would have a lot of reservations buying a used boat from anyone in the dead of winter no matter how fantastic the deal or how slightly used the boat. The problem is as you said, the prices do tend to go up during the on-season. I didn't catch what your budget was but if it is as small as your first post insinuated, it sounds like you really will need to at least test it out on the water or risk blowing your money. As for the dealer vs. private party, I am a most-for-your money kind of person and historically and logically a private party will be cheaper (ignoring people who are underwater on their loans). Now I say that and thought I'd go to my grave before buying any vehicle at a dealer but recently bought a used American SUV at a foreign car dealer. They simply took less than it was worth no arguments or hemming and hawing. They had no interest in keeping it on the lot and it has been a great vehicle. Not quite the same scenario as a boat dealership but sometimes stange things can happen. Can you tell us what kind of boat you are looking for and price range?