1984 johnson 15 hp idle problem

Turfer777

Recruit
I just had the carb off and i cleaned it. now i have to push and pull the choke to keep it running. there is a rich lean dial does anyone know approx. how far it should be turned out. Im wondering if thats the problem. Good spark just seems to be starving for fuel.... i just bought the motor it was sitting for 3 years prior to me owning it.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 1984 johnson 15 hp idle problem

You may have cleaned the carb and not gotten it clean, did you take out the jets and run a wire through them?

You have to actually remove the jets to get the carb clean, there should be 3, an idle, mid and high speed although I am not familiar with your engine.

I have a 50 but mine has one jet on top at the front, one on top at the back and the high speed is in the float bowl drain hole.

Turfer777

Recruit

I am going to take the carb out and get a rebuild kit today to see if that helps thanks for the info... i'll update after i get it back together ttyl

bktheking

Vice Admiral

There are 2 on this carb, idle and high speed- the high speed comes with the kit, 3 years sitting it should have a kit put it, pop out the welch plug for idle and soak it.