17 foot boat on 16 foot trailer?

a.brown

Recruit
Hey, I'm new, and apologize if this topic has already been discussed. I am going to buy a trailer on Wednesday for a boat my grandfather just got me. I found a trailer to fit a 16 foot boat, but recently found out that the boat I'm getting is a 17 foot boat. I was wondering if it would still fit, and if so is it safe to have part of the boat hanging off the back of the trailer? If somebody could help me out, that would be great. Thanks.

cribber

Lieutenant
Re: 17 foot boat on 16 foot trailer?

Depending on the manufacturer of the trailer most accommodate different lengths. Hopefully your trailer is in the 16-18 foot range. You don't want too much of your transom hanging off the bunks or rollers.

a.brown

Recruit

Well I do know that the trailer is 16 feet long from the winch post to the end of the trailer, and it's 6 feet wide, but don't know what kind of trailer it is.

nlain

Commander

You may have to move the winch forward to get weight on the tounge, that foot of overhang could cause the front of the trailer to jump up when you loosen the hitch if too much weight is to the rear of the trailer.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Agreed; watch and adjust your balance. That's the most important. The last 1.5' of my 17' Key West DC is off the stern rollers. I worried some about the weight of the OB not being supported but so far (20 years) so good. With a boat hanging off you can't use those engine supports but I don't believe in them in the first place.

You might also be able to extend your rear bunks a little if you have them (I don't).

Depending on the rig you might take the motor off and put it in the boat for trailering. Friends do that with 16' jons with 25's on them.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Depends on the trailer but you should be O.K. Can you do a bit of measuring up first and look at how much adjustment there is on the trailer that can accommodate your boat.
Too much difference and it is like walking around in a pair of shoes that are a size too small.:)

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it 16 foot to your winch post you should be fine. Depending on the type of boat the bow may stick past the post a little and off the back of the trailer a little. At the most you will only be sticking over a foot. Plus most trailers you can adjust the post. If not you can always relocate it if you know a metal fabricator.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree if you feel too much is over the end then adjust your winch post forward. You should be fine with that trailer as long as your bunks or rollers will adjust to your hull shape.