question on boat engine/outdrive purchase

spaldy

Recruit
Looking at a boat tommorrow at noon.

1985 sea sprite with a alpha one and a GM 4 cyl engine. Good condition and it does appear well maintained. When they get this old you just hope it's a solid fundemental set up that's OK to work on yourself.

Anyone have feeling on this set up. I believe the boats around 1300# so it's sure not overpowered but I"m not racing it. Mainly just cruising on KY lake which sucks the gas if you have a thirsty boat.

I've not see comments on the GM 4 cyl. The alpha one seems a solid set up.

Thanks in advance for any input or thoughts. Spending money is very hard for me to enjoy.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: question on boat engine/outdrive purchase

It's the most common engine and outdrive out there. Been used since the late 60's

spaldy

Recruit

Thanks guys,

I had not read a lot of info on them but I think often that's a good sign. The problematic set ups get talked about a lot. If it's that common and a problem set up it would be all over the forums.

I guess I owe you also for the insight on the 470 and other less than desirable set ups from the other forums. I know they have some defenders but way too many issues for a non mechanic.

I also owe someone for the all the information on the hull issues. I'm going to do my best to try to determine any rot or soggy foam issues.

WattsBarMike

Cadet

We owned the same model some years ago. That 4-banger would pull 2 adult skiers and go all day on a tank of gas. It was a great boat for us and our 2 kids.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good motor I have one in my 1987 rinker v180 and it does very well

Donnyp

Recruit

I have an '85 Sea Sprite with the same setup.(3.0 liter GM 4cylinder Alpha one) It's a good,tough, reliable powerplant. I bought mine used this year and I'm very happy with it.