1996 60hp Johnson elctrical problem

lake Powell dan

Recruit
I have 2 60hp Johnson's on a recently purchased houseboat at Lake Powell.
I had them all tuned up and had the carbs rebuilt last spring. Both ran fine until it was time to leave. One fired right up. The other did not. Hearing no cranking I thought it was a low battery. I switched batteries and still nothing. After removing the cover I noticed a burnt wire. I spliced it and upon my friend turning the key I watched it fry again.(still no cranking) I do not know what the wire I spliced went to as I am new to the boating world. Staff at Powell at the time I believe mention - rectifier? Any thoughts as to my problem. I will be at Powell in a week and would like to fix this.
Lake Powell Dan

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1996 60hp Johnson elctrical problem

If a wire is frying out like that, it sounds to me like it's pinched in metal somewhere and grounding out. It looks like it's time to go through the wiring harness with a fine toothed comb. Look for any wires that may have got pinched somewhere of worn through.:cool:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

color of the burnt wire.

lake Powell dan

Recruit

color of the burnt wire.

Thanks for replying. Not sure of the color. This happened last June. I planned on being back in Sept. and take notes and photos. To me it looked like a ground wire. It was a single wire , by itself, that seemed to run on an angle from the back (prop) to the front (latch) of the motor. Thoughts?
Lake Powell Dan

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I think posting some pics might be a good idea at this point. I'm kinda lost here.:confused: