N.H. too difficult to boat

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Every year I plan 3 boat trips a year for 5 other families and my own. In addition my family take 5-9 boat trips every year. We all have trailer boat express cruisers ranging from 23 feet to 27 feet. We are extremely aware of foreign aquatic species and take action to prevent any chance of contamination.

I have decided once again that Lake Winnipesaukee and NH are off the list due to difficulty in trying to comply with there rules and local ordinances that apply to certain parts of the lake that doesn't apply to others. I am wanting to go but am aware of other boaters that felt driven off by local and state law enforcement, and unwelcome by locals.

I understand That Ames Farm is no longer available for a launch site due to a new local ordinance that no public boat ramp within 1500 feet of private property. No rafting allowed in certain coves and bays. No being on the hook after dusk. A friend of mine was given a field sobriety test in front of his family and that's fine, But he is allergic to alcohol. (Yes he has the Medical alert bracelet on all the time. )

So my question is.. Whats going on with Winnie? Are people finding it more difficult to boat ? I am really wishing it was more like Lake George in NY. Winni is so beautiful.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: N.H. too difficult to boat

Our family has been vacationing in the NH Lakes region as long as I can remember. As the years have progressed, so have the restrictions on Lake Winnipesaukee. There are relatively new laws restricting rafting and speed.

The rafting laws are fairly well posted where they apply, and I think they're easy to understand even if you don't agree with them.

The speed limits are also easy to understand but they are a contentious issue with local boaters. It's my belief the speed limits would not be necessary if boaters practiced common sense. Unfortunately common sense isn't so common.
If you want to see some discussion about the speed limits go to the Lake Winnipesaukee web site at http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

NH seems to only cater to locals. I used to travel there regularly. If your not from there expect to be treated poorly. I remember trying to get help in a local hardware store once. You'd a thought I had the heebie jeebies.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Kinda sad for a state that relies on tourism as a major source of income. The last time I was there, (& the last time I'll ever be there), I needed to check the tires on my rental car. In a gas station where I had planned on buying gas (pulled up to the pump) I asked the lady behind the counter if I could borrow the tire gauge hanging on the wall, ther lady told me they didn't have a tire gauge. When I pointed it out to her she said it wasn't a tire gauge. With 1 finger up, I left & spent my money somewhere else. Life is too short to deal with that attitude from someone you are providing an income to.

tommays

Admiral

ry%3D400

Well

Having spent 1 week a year camping on Lake George with two boats for over 10 years i would say its good because its a PITA to get in and out which keeps the crowds DOWN

It cost god knows how much now to launch and park and you have to buy a permit each time and your boat MUST have a gray water tank and you cant use soap of any kind

NHGuy

Captain

I spent my teen years on Winni in the summer & when we all grew up I bought the family runabout which I then sold in 92 or 93.
Last year I got the boat in my signature and used it quite a bit on the lake. I can tell you that there are more boats out there now than before, and there are more boneheads that don't understand headway and yielding rules than before.
A trailer cruiser such as yours is ideal on that lake, it can kick up a pretty decent chop and size helps.
Don't bother with Ames Farm Inn for a launch, the Gilford townies are doing their best to keep trailer users out because they probably feel the traffic increase I alluded to. Either that or the young and the loud folks have had their day. I don't spend much time in that area but I am a bit surprised the locals are doing this. Their area of the lake is mostly open water and with less shoreline/islands. I'd think there should not be as many boats around. But maybe there are lots of boats due to their proximity to the interstate.
Drive up I93 to exit 23 and head to the north end of the lake where you can put in at a deep water paved ramp at Center Harbor. FOR $10!!!!!!!! And on weekdays there might not even be an attendant.
Or maybe see what the deal is at Silver Sands Marina or Fays Marina, they are both in Gilford. Silver Sands has quite a lot of larger boats. Fays is really old school, folks either love it there or hate it, there ain't no in between. I'd guess those two will charge you by the foot but treat you well.
They are always busy.

Oh, and yes there is no overnight anchoring allowed.
On the plus side there is an area in the middle some 20 miles long and 5 to 10 miles wide where you can just roar along and hardly see a soul.

NHGuy

Captain

Fisherball & FL Richard, sorry for your inconvenience. We really do like folks around here, you must have found some real toothless doozies when you wanted help.