6hp ev not pumping water

changaz

Recruit
hey guys,
well i dug the old 6hp 6604 (1976) evinrude out of retirement. I had to get a new shift linkage, replaced powerhead base gasket, and new plugs and gear oil, and new impeller.
The old girl started and runs like a dream, but its pumping no water through the motor.
I have pulled the leg off, blown air up and down the tubes- no blockages, the keyway is in, i have tried sealing the waterpump housing with a gasket compound, but still no water.
any suggestions would be much appreciated. i have been hanging to get the boat out onto the dam, but this is the only thing holding me up.
Paul.

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 6hp ev not pumping water

Do you have the leg deep in the water, covering the water pump?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I agree with Jasper. The first thing that should be considered is whether the midsection/gearcase was submerged to a level adequate to provide intake capability. You can't just submerge the intake points on the gearcase - the water must be high enough around the leg to place the water pump under the surface.

Another problem that I have had with older 6hp models specifically, is accumulation of mud, etc., below the water pump base plate. If that area becomes plugged, everything else can be fine, but you will not get to water flow.

Also, you should always see water coming out of the exhaust port in the back of the midsection, even if the t-stat has not opened. There is a bypass circuit in the head, with a vertical passage that runs down that back of the head.

???

changaz

Recruit

yeh, also tried putting the hose onto the water intake while submerged to force a bit extra water in.

although, i might try finding a deeper bucket, the water level would not have been above the water pump, only above the intake. I do remember i had that issue once before.

there is no mud, i took the whole base plate off, cleaned it then put it back. I have also had the top plate off the top of the motor and removed all of the salt build up in there.

thanks for the suggestions guys, id really prefer to get this bad boy going without haveing to pay the local shop a fortune for something i can do myself.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the local shop will even work on it.

Did you use sealant on the wear plate to bearing plate?

l_619ab138912b44c2aa389b920965de25.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would check the thermostat over too. Sometimes they get stuck after sitting for a while. All you need to do is pull the little cover off and remove the thermostat. Water should come gushing out while it's running.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

If the local shop will even work on it.

Did you use sealant on the wear plate to bearing plate?

l_619ab138912b44c2aa389b920965de25.jpg

Actually, the sealant should go between the wear plate and the impeller housing.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Actually, the sealant should go between the wear plate and the impeller housing.

When I read this I though to myself, "If I put the stuff where its not supposed to go I'm gonna be pissed" So I pulled out the evinrude manual.

"Apply OMC Adhesive "M" to surface of bearing housing and position impeller plate over bearing housing. Install impeller pin, oil impeller, and position impeller over pin."

changaz

Recruit

yep, used sealant between plate and base, and also between plate and impeller housing.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

yeh, also tried putting the hose onto the water intake while submerged to force a bit extra water in.

although, i might try finding a deeper bucket, the water level would not have been above the water pump, only above the intake. I do remember i had that issue once before.

there is no mud, i took the whole base plate off, cleaned it then put it back. I have also had the top plate off the top of the motor and removed all of the salt build up in there.

thanks for the suggestions guys, id really prefer to get this bad boy going without haveing to pay the local shop a fortune for something i can do myself.

See the sentence that I "bolded." That's most likely your problem. I recommend that you go buy a 30 gallon trash can and use that instead of a bucket. My guess is that your motor is going to pump water just fine.

???

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, oddly enough, I had them pump water just fine without using any sealant at all. Are you positive the tube went into the impeller housing okay? I have found that if you don't apply a bit of oil on the grommets, they can give problems mating up. It's also best to apply a heavy coat of oil on the o-ring on top of the driveshaft too.

But first, try it again, in a deeper supply of water and see what happens.:D

changaz

Recruit

Well after all the anger, frustration and questions..... i bought a deeper bucket and it pumps more water than the prop will be able to push!
Thanks alot for all your input and suggestions guys, sorry to waste your time on something so stupidly simple. Im just glad that after spending a bit of money and time to fix it up, i didnt have to pay a fortune for some boat shop to pretend they fixed something that wasnt really broken!

1946zephyr - your signiture is driving me crazy! i keep trying to swat this stupid bloody fly off my monitor then realise its just a picture!

thanks again to all
Paul

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Don't feel bad. The reason we're all so "smart" about this, is because we did it too, at some point in our experience with these motors.

???

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

It's cool. Those little 6's are great motors and are very co-operative. It usually takes one little thing overlooked to be the problem with them.:D:D