mercury 150 black max starting issues

basscrazy1

Recruit
I'm looking at a 1985 hydra-sports boat with a 150 merc. The starter spins but won't engage. He show me where he had the starter repaired with new brushes. If he used jumper cables to touch the starter it would engage the flywheel but only barely move the motor. He had a battery charger hooked to the battery for added power. He assures me the motor runs to perfection. The boat also has a crack on the left side of the transom. The crack is not on the flat back part but up on the top. Crack is about 2-4 inches long and 1/4" wide at the most. What i'm trying to decide is whether to acquire this boat for a restoration. I can trade him 3 guns that I only have $700 total money in for the boat on an even swap. Don't want to get it and then sink $10000 in it when I could purchase a nicer newer boat for that kind of money. Any info. is greatly appreciated. This is my first post so i'm a newbie here.:)

j_martin

Admiral
Re: mercury 150 black max starting issues

I'm looking at a 1985 hydra-sports boat with a 150 merc. The starter spins but won't engage. He show me where he had the starter repaired with new brushes. If he used jumper cables to touch the starter it would engage the flywheel but only barely move the motor. He had a battery charger hooked to the battery for added power. He assures me the motor runs to perfection. The boat also has a crack on the left side of the transom. The crack is not on the flat back part but up on the top. Crack is about 2-4 inches long and 1/4" wide at the most. What i'm trying to decide is whether to acquire this boat for a restoration. I can trade him 3 guns that I only have $700 total money in for the boat on an even swap. Don't want to get it and then sink $10000 in it when I could purchase a nicer newer boat for that kind of money. Any info. is greatly appreciated. This is my first post so i'm a newbie here.:)
I have a bridge to sell you.:D

Starter is toast unless the motor is froze up.

Pad ripping loose is major structural defect.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Offer him two guns, save one to shoot him with for lying to you.

basscrazy1

Recruit

Thanks for the advice. I sometimes get myself in trouble with projects. I am an aircraft mechanic and enjoy fixing up things, just have not tackled a fiberglass boat before. I will surely listen to your advice and steer clear. Thanks a million guys!!!