96 Force 120 will not run (NEED Help)

haikt

Cadet
Hello,
I winterized the boat for by adding staybill and runnig for 10 min.
Last month I got the boat out and it would not start. It would burt and stall.
We took the carbs out and cleaned them good. checked spark and have spark on all 4. Afrer replacing the carps and plugs it fired right up and ran great for 20 min on the muffs.
Next time I got a chance to take the boat to the lake 2 weeks after (a cold front 20 degrees) the engine did the same thing, it will burt after crancking for several min. and stall. took the carbs out and cealed with B12 and put back. got new gas in the can and flushed all the system, replaced the pump parts with new ones. got new gas lines for everything.
We got it to run for 10 seconds or longer (burping and misfiring) on 3/4 throttle but will not idel at all and wont start at idel.
checked comp. 120 +/- 5 on all 4
Please help.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 96 Force 120 will not run (NEED Help)

Are you seeing any signs of too much fuel from the carburetors? (I'm assuming that you have already checked or replaced the needle valves in the carbs.) Things like fuel dripping out around the carbs? If so, check the fuel enrichment solenoid. This allows additional fuel to flow to the base of the carbs and acts as your choke. If it's stuck open, you will be flooding the motor. There is a small line the goes from the fuel bowl of the top carb to the solenoid. There should be two additional lines that go from the solenoid to the base of each carb. Disconnect one of these lines and see if any gas is leaking out when cranking the motor without engaging the choke. If there is, it's stuck open.

haikt

Cadet

I did check all the needles on the carb and made sure everything is open and very clean. the floats have no adjustment so I assume they work because they seal the incoming line when moved up. I press the pule boulb 4 times and it gets firm and does not come out of carbs.
I checked the selenoid and it is not stuck, when the key is pished gas comes out.
I also found that if you disconect any of the top 2 spark wires nothing changes in the way it runs but I have good spark on both. I have a tester hooked uo and also tested for spark visualy.
at this point I am little confused and dont know what to check next.
thank you

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Make sure the connector on the wires coming from the stator under the flywheel to the CDM ignition modules are making good connections. The color of the wires are Green/White, and White/Green. The White/Green lead supplies voltage to the number 1 and 2 CDM's. You can also check the resistance of the stator. Disconnect the Green/White and White/Green wires from the stator to the wiring harness. They should read 500 - 700 OHMs.

If everything here checks out, then I would suspect a bent, cracked or broken reed valve under the top carb.

haikt

Cadet

Thank you for the advice.
I found the vacume fittings to be clogged. the top cyl. 1 was all the way clogged and the bottom one does not seal good. can this be the issue?
I will also check all the wires as stated.
thank you

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The vacuum fittings are typically part of the fuel recirculation system. If they are clogged, you may experience some idling problems,excessive smoke, fouled plugs. This may be part of your problem. Usually a squirt of carb cleaner will clean out any build up in them. Unscrew the fitting from the block to prevent getting any cleaner into the crankcase.

haikt

Cadet

i took the reads out and the to one sure has a chip in the corner of one leaf.
is the metal going to be in the cylinder?
I have cranked on it and got it running here and there for at least 30min after this failure (did not know) and if it is in there it may have hurt the piston liners. I did a comp. test again today and all cyl. are 125 psi.
Will it be ok to fix the reeds and run it or do I have to take the engine apart to find the chip?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Most likely the piece has exited out through the exhaust. Your compression readings are good so I doubt any damage has occurred. If you are really concerned you can take the head off and the bypass covers for the top two cylinders and check for any stay metal pieces. Fairly easy to do.