can my truck pull it?

hillbillyjr

Cadet
i have a 1998 silverado 2wd v6 and i just bought a 16ft alumminum bass tracker. do you all think my truck will be alright pulling that boat outta the water.

G_Lipe

Cadet
Re: can my truck pull it?

I'm running a 03 ranger with a 4.0 (v6) and a tow package with a 17 foot tracker TXS and haven't had any problems as long as the ramps were good

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Absolutely as long as you have traction and the ramp is not stupid steep. That V-6 is a nice little package.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use to pull a 1984 19Ft Master Craft Ski Boat that weighed over 3000lbs with a 85 pontiac Bonneville with a 3.8 liter V6 and had no problems. You should be fine as long as the traction is good and the ramp isn't too steep. I live in N. Ga and most of the lakes I visited then as I do now were located int he mountain areas and the ramps usually are fairly steep grades. That pontiac did a fine job.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Pickup trucks are very light in the rear, and a 2 wheel drive does not have nearly the traction or the gearing of a 4 wheel drive. You might be smoking your tires on a steeper boat launch ramp.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to the TBM site and check the towing capacity. I'm sure it nearly twice your load.

Billy O

Seaman Apprentice

I pull a 17ft Key West cc with a 110hp johnson with a 01 s-10 with a v6 with no problem. Just stick it in low and ease the gas to it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Q: Can I tow launch and retrieve above boat with above truck?

A: yes

Q: If I back in too far or find too steep of a ramp with too much moss can I get myself in trouble FAST?

A: yes

Q: How do I avoid getting in trouble?

A1: best bet is find a person experienced in such things and offer a free fishing trip or two for help and pointers

A2: next best is spend a nice sunny saturday afternoon from about 3 hours before dark watching others pull their boats out at the ramp you intend to use.

I would not hesitate to tow that boat with that truck but I have seen frantic efforts to pull out very well matched rigs after a little mistake or a misjudged ramp

checkmate150

Cadet

my dad used to pull his 84' 19.5' four winns with a 90' chevy caprice so... ya a 1/2 ton will do the job for an aluminum boat

hillbillyjr

Cadet

thanks for the replies fellas i really appreciate it, my truck is also a standard shift 5-speed if that makes a difference

180shabah

Rear Admiral

It does add one more variable, your skill with the clutch...

danmak

Recruit

I pulled my bass boat for years with a Toyota Pickup V6. It is a 17' Skeeter with a Mercury 150 black Max. Just follow the advice of others on here and watch how deep you go and the steepness of the ramp but you should be fine.

scipper77

Commander

I know I'm a little late on this one but if you bought a 4WD to tow that boat you would be wasting your $$. You could tow that rig with most anything, even a midsize car like an impala or camry.

If you get into trouble at the ramp let some air out of the tires, empty livewell, put dirt or sand under the tires, have someone sit in the bed of the truck for more weight, ... you get the idea. You'll be fine. At least if you do have trouble it won't be because your boat is too much for your boat to haul.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i have a 1998 silverado 2wd v6 and i just bought a 16ft alumminum bass tracker. do you all think my truck will be alright pulling that boat outta the water.

I can't picture it being a problem, but what exactly does this boat have? Bare bones with a small motor or loaded with a console and the biggest motor you can put on it? See the difference. Bare bones, no issue. Loaded, probably no issue, but make sure to put as much tonge weight on it as reasonable to add some traction to the rear end of the truck.

By the way, to scipper77...
I have a 1998 Olds Intrigue with the 3.8 and it is not rated to pull ANYTHING. So not ANY midsize car can do it. On the other hand, I pull a similar sized boat with a 1999 Caravan with a 3.0 Liter with no issues, although the Caravan definately does know it is back there.

As far as the clutch, keep an eye on it. You don't want to deal with a borderline clutch on a ramp condition. Years ago, I pulled a Hobie 16 with a Ford Probe (3.0L - manual transmission) and burned out the clutch on a the way home from a vacation trip. The Hobie and trailer only weighed about 700 pounds.

Good luck,
TerryMSU

hillbillyjr

Cadet

it is a 1980 16ft alumminum bass tracker with a 55 h.p. chrysler engine, it has 2 batteries,trolling motor,fish finder,ect. thanks for all the replies guys

scipper77

Commander

By the way, to scipper77...
I have a 1998 Olds Intrigue with the 3.8 and it is not rated to pull ANYTHING. So not ANY midsize car can do it. On the other hand, I pull a similar sized boat with a 1999 Caravan with a 3.0 Liter with no issues, although the Caravan definately does know it is back there.

Agreed, but my point is that you don't really need something designed for towing for a boat that is probably around #1000. And generally the frame on a mid size car is rated to tow up to #1000. The Pontiac Vibe is rated to tow up to #1500. I can't tell you how many Grand Am's I've seen towing jet ski's. Something about jet ski owners and Grand Am's.

Grand Am, Official tow vehicle of Jet Skiers everywhere.

RLT III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All i can cay is be smart about it never back to far and find the best ramp
I pull my 15'grumman w/ext transom max motor size 2 batts all gear livewells coolers and i'm a stay at home dad which means I use the 8 passenger minivan good old dodge with 3.3 V6 and i've had 0 issues just don't try any beach launching